20" bass beater placement?

FoolInTheRain

Tomorrow I'm going to be setting up my new MCX kit with 20" bass drum. This is the first time I've ever used a 20" bass. I've already got the heads I'm going to put on. But one thing I'm unsure about is where on the head to have the beater hit. I've always used 22" bass drums and I've always had the beater hit right in the center.

I'm thinking of just leaving my pedal the way it is and having it strike a little off-center, but I want to know what other people are doing with theirs.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Tomorrow I'm going to be setting up my new MCX kit with 20" bass drum. This is the first time I've ever used a 20" bass. I've already got the heads I'm going to put on. But one thing I'm unsure about is where on the head to have the beater hit. I've always used 22" bass drums and I've always had the beater hit right in the center.

I'm thinking of just leaving my pedal the way it is and having it strike a little off-center, but I want to know what other people are doing with theirs.
Off center is the way to go... dead in the middle is dead.

Off the center offers better response and rebond and with a smaller head your foot will be flying effortlessly.

Also, if you change the beater height, it will affect the balance of your stroke, I'd leave the pedal at the same height and same setting and see first if you like (or dislike) it.

FoolInTheRain

Off center is the way to go... dead in the middle is dead.

Off the center offers better response and rebond and with a smaller head your foot will be flying effortlessly.

Also, if you change the beater height, it will affect the balance of your stroke, I'd leave the pedal at the same height and same setting and see first if you like (or dislike) it.
Thanks Mad! I am going to leave the beater the same height.