20” kicks anyone?

My 1999 Ludwig Classic Maple 14×20 has a Remo PS4 coated head on batter side and an Ambassador coated with felt strip on the resonant side. Felt strip is taped using clear mylar packaging tape at top and bottom only, leaving just enough room so it doesn't interfere with the bearing edge.
I was going to go with a PS3 batter, but will probably go with an Emperor, or. Ambassador coated with felt strips to see how it sounds a bit more when open.

Darth Vater

lol I'm 6"1 and still feel toms are positioned higher than I would like. The extra 2" gives me more maneuverability and I can also drop the height of my cymbals that are over the toms. I hate reaching up! :)
Here ya go. Rack tom might be set a bit high for you. LOL :ROFLMAO: :devilish:

Drumprof

I love 20’s. I own two of them. They are my favorite size because there so versatile, easy to handle and as mentioned allow more flexible Tom positioning.
I also think not all 20’s are created equal. Yamaha, Gretsch and I have to throw Tama in there make some of the best most consistent bass drums.

My Absolute Hybrid 20x16 is completely bad a**.

Gretsch bass drums are just amazing in any size but their 20 inch basses just thump. I have a USA Custom 22x16 that is an absolute cannon. So much in fact that I only take it out occasionally because mic’d up it will absolutely take over the stage.

Tama is also known for having incredibly consistent awesome bass drums. In fact not to derail the thread but I have been interested in the Starclassic walnut birch, in the basic three piece, 20 inch bass configuration, if anyone has any experience with them and can chime in, It seems you don’t see a lot of Tama 20’s.

Last edited:

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Yes, I use a 1970 Ludwig 20x14 that's been my favorite bass drum everrrrr!

JB111

For me, 14 x 20 is about as versatile as it gets. Cant's seem to get away from that size as my three kits all have 20s.

P

Peedy

Been lusting after an 18in Sonor for a while. But the wife knows where I live so it ain’t a gonna happen.

wraub

After replacing the 22" Yamaha with the 20" Sonor, I may have found exactly "my sound". :D As I am still, largely, determing that, I think this is important. :D
I say "may" because I still need a hoop, head, and hardware for it to truly compare, soundwise.

That said, comfort/fit/ergonomics/whatever it is wise, the 20' is my jam.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
As i’m only 5,4’ I went with shallower (7” deep) tom sizes instead of going with a smaller diameter kick.

Couldn’t have chosen a better option. And no loss in sustain, attack or warmth. On the contrary, the last gig it was evenn too much 😬

As much as I love a 20”. 22” will be my main sound.

I would like to have a matching 16x12 kick for smaller/quick travel gigs.

wildbill

Platinum Member
My 1999 Ludwig Classic Maple 14×20 has a Remo PS4 coated head on batter side and an Ambassador coated with felt strip on the resonant side. Felt strip is taped using clear mylar packaging tape at top and bottom only, leaving just enough room so it doesn't interfere with the bearing edge.
I just got a Felt Tone Fiberskyn for one of my 20's. That's the way they come from the factory (3rd pic on the link). I like it.

Icetech

Gold Member
If it bothers you that much, why don’t you sell the 22 and buy a 20 - that’s what I did. There’s always people looking to build a double bass kit or expand. Assuming you are going to keep your kit at least medium term and it’s a fairly standard colour, it’s worth a go.
Eventually i will replace the kit one day if i find a deal on another that i like.. it's not a big enough deal to break up the kit or buy spares.. just is what it is :)

I just got a Felt Tone Fiberskyn for one of my 20's. That's the way they come from the factory (3rd pic on the link). I like it.

Thanks Bill, I might consider this, especially on the batter side. I normally like ordering through Cascio Interstate Music, but it looks like I will have to go to to Sweetwater since only the retail store is open. Crazy. I guess there's not enough room to "social distance" in a wharehouse.

brady

Platinum Member
20x14 for me too. Ludwig Classic Maple. Lugging it around and ergonomics were my motivating factors. That, and I play a little bit of everything on it; blues, jazz, rockier stuff... Although, I typically use an 18' for jazz.

Don't sweat the higher pitch too much... My bass player commented at my last gig, standing right next to my kit, that my kick sounded like bouncing a basketball but once he heard the sound from out front with the band going, he got it. He said it had a nice punchy thump to it.

That said, a 24'' would be nice occasionally...

acsunda

I'm a short dude, like 5'2", with short arms, so a 20" kick is about the biggest I can play and still position everything else comfortably.

Stefan Brodsky

I really have only ever played 20" kicks, except for sitting in a few times in a studio, where there was a 22" x 18". Agreed, everything including rack toms and cymbals need to be raised with larger kicks, and I've just gotten used to the 20" height over the years. My first kit was a 1965 Ludwig Club Date and my current kit is a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau ca. 2009. Both feature 20" kicks, though the Yamaha is 2" deeper than the Ludwig. Re the deeper sound, granted larger is often better, but I've been able to compensate for that using an Octavizer guitar pedal. I mic the kick w/a Shure B52 knockoff (Carvin) which is run into a TC Electronics Octavizer, and then is plugged either into a bass amp or PA. It's killer and can be adjusted as to exactly what kind of bass drum sound is desired. And of course, beaters make a difference too. I prefer a good hard felt beater.

Last edited: