2 questions in 1 thread =D

BabyBob

Silver Member
Hey it's me again ;D

I'd just wanna ask this 2 questions:

1) How to transport/ship a full (USED) drum kit with out a single case? I was thinking of using a lot of boxes and putting the rack toms into each other and into the floor then into the bass...

2) Is a Drum key a MUST when dissembling a drum kit? If so which one should I get?

Thanks.

Last edited:
where are you transporting too??? most brand new drum kits (which get shipped over seas) are put into 2 boxes - mainly for decent weight distribution, the shells go inside each other with card board (so they don't hit) and skins are off...

all drum keys are exactly the same except if you're using older sonor stuff...
and you should have about 1,000,000 drum keys... everywhere... always. never forget your drum key. i have one attached to my car keys so that i always have one with me.

Don't forget that other ingredient to good shipping: $$$$$

The few times I've shipped a drumkit (usually in two boxes, and insured) it cost me at least $75 to get it from California to Ohio once. And that was before buying the packing materials and the boxes (it cost $25 for a 20x24 box to ship the 18x22 bass drum with a couple of toms in it).

If the kit is small enough, I'd try getting it into one box so when you insure it, and the shipping company damages it, the whole thing can just get replaced.

where are you transporting too??? most brand new drum kits (which get shipped over seas) are put into 2 boxes - mainly for decent weight distribution, the shells go inside each other with card board (so they don't hit) and skins are off...

all drum keys are exactly the same except if you're using older sonor stuff...
and you should have about 1,000,000 drum keys... everywhere... always. never forget your drum key. i have one attached to my car keys so that i always have one with me.

I see. I'm shipping a used kit that has now packaging or such. Well quite near to my house like 5km? I'd be using a car.

Ok all drum keys are the same right? So get which ever more affordable?

Don't forget that other ingredient to good shipping: $$$$$

The few times I've shipped a drumkit (usually in two boxes, and insured) it cost me at least $75 to get it from California to Ohio once. And that was before buying the packing materials and the boxes (it cost $25 for a 20x24 box to ship the 18x22 bass drum with a couple of toms in it).

If the kit is small enough, I'd try getting it into one box so when you insure it, and the shipping company damages it, the whole thing can just get replaced.

Ok, but I'm not shipping so far...Anyway thanks for your time :D

Just drive it over, throw it in the car like you are going to a gig and drop it off. No sense in wasting all that time taking it apart if it's that close to you.

1. Just put the drums on your backseat soft and easy no damage if you dont drive like a maniac. Dont know how big the bass is but I reckon putting a box around it will make it more likely to "not fit" inside a car. Maybe a blanket or 2 around stuff.

2. As for disassembling a drum for a 5km drive is kinda alot of work. Also you will be making the bearing edges more likely to be damaged.
A drum key is a must. Some people say "its the key to drumming" ....

Just drive it over, throw it in the car like you are going to a gig and drop it off. No sense in wasting all that time taking it apart if it's that close to you.

I see. I'm just afraid it it's too tall HAHA!!! If I take down the toms that should do you don't you think so?

1. Just put the drums on your backseat soft and easy no damage if you dont drive like a maniac. Dont know how big the bass is but I reckon putting a box around it will make it more likely to "not fit" inside a car. Maybe a blanket or 2 around stuff.

2. As for disassembling a drum for a 5km drive is kinda alot of work. Also you will be making the bearing edges more likely to be damaged.
A drum key is a must. Some people say "its the key to drumming" ....

The bass is 22x16. Towels will do too right? Alright drum key is a must, noted.

when i had my pearl forum (5 toms, kick and a snare) i'd just throw the bass drum/floor toms on the back seats, smaller toms in the passanger seat and all hardware in the boot... fit in a kia rio.... no bags or anything. 5km isn't that long. it should only take you like 15 mins.

yes all drum keys are the same, with the exception when you're dealing with old sonor drums.... you'll probably never see one so don't worry.

when i had my pearl forum (5 toms, kick and a snare) i'd just throw the bass drum/floor toms on the back seats, smaller toms in the passanger seat and all hardware in the boot... fit in a kia rio.... no bags or anything. 5km isn't that long. it should only take you like 15 mins.

yes all drum keys are the same, with the exception when you're dealing with old sonor drums.... you'll probably never see one so don't worry.

Nice my car is about that size.

Tho I'm going with my father too :3 well to help me carry the drum stuff as the seller says it might be heavy for me to carry alone =\

I see. I'm just afraid it it's too tall HAHA!!! If I take down the toms that should do you don't you think so?

You're confusing the idea of disassembly here. Of course it'll be too tall if you leave the toms mounted. You won't be able to have it set up like you do when playing the thing, but you don't need to take the heads off and nest the shells just because you're gonna travel with it either. Just pull the kit apart and then carry and pack the individual drums....with their heads and hardware in tact.

Alright drum key is a must, noted.

How else were you gonna tune them?

You're confusing the idea of disassembly here. Of course it'll be too tall if you leave the toms mounted. You won't be able to have it set up like you do when playing the thing, but you don't need to take the heads off and nest the shells just because you're gonna travel with it either. Just pull the kit apart and then carry and pack the individual drums....with their heads and hardware in tact.

How else were you gonna tune them?

Ah I see, so basically just separate the drum kit into individual drums with their head and/or hardware intact? Hmmm I see.

I don't have bags or cases. Curse of being a university student.

So when I store or transport my kit, it al goes back into the two boxes it came in when I bought it, the hardware into a hardware rller, the snare and spare toms into their original boxes.

All in plastic bags with cardboard.

I don't mind the heads getting stretched too much, I'm replacing them soon anyway seeing as they sounded aweful out of the box.

I don't have bags or cases. Curse of being a university student.

So when I store or transport my kit, it al goes back into the two boxes it came in when I bought it, the hardware into a hardware rller, the snare and spare toms into their original boxes.

All in plastic bags with cardboard.

I don't mind the heads getting stretched too much, I'm replacing them soon anyway seeing as they sounded aweful out of the box.

I see, but the seller had threw it away the boxes.... =\

I see, but the seller had threw it away the boxes.... =\

Boxes are easy enough to come by. Go down to a local shop (a big one) and ask if they have any sitting out the back.

Back