2 grooves that every beginner should eventually learn—

Lexer

Obviously every drummer should know a basic lick. However, i think every beiginner should learn these 2 grooves. Not only learn them but also be able to play them cleanly.
1) fool in the rain - led zep
2) walk this way- aerosmith

If you can master those 2 grooves, you can learn almost any other rock beat. Plus, these 2 licks can give a beiginner a sense of groove and feel especially after doing them for a while. I have seen so many drummers attempt these grooves and they sound so sloppy.
Both grooves employ difficult kick drum technique but also a great sense of feel and some hi hat work. . Fool in the rain was also chosen because it has ghost notes.
We can go on and on about other grooves but i think these 2 in particular. Of course there are fills as well but lets focus on grooves.
Now these grooves shouldnt be attempted at the very beginning but eventually after a beginner is mastering a basic 4/4, he can start experimenting. If i was a drum teacher, i would really focus on these 2. Thats just my opinion.

Obviously every drummer should know a basic lick. However, i think every beiginner should learn these 2 grooves. Not only learn them but also be able to play them cleanly.

And if they don't or can't, does it make them less of a drummer?

Not everybody wants to be a rock drummer. Not everybody likes Led Zeppelin or Aerosmith. Learning these two particular beats does nothing if the player doesn't care about them.

Some people think there are Max and Elvin grooves everyone should know. Some people think everyone should learn double kick and blast beats. Some people think everyone should learn music theory.

Learn what you want, what applies to your drumming journey. No two particular beats will make you a better drummer.

I would definitely add these to the ever growing list...but not make them exclusive.

40+ years down the tube, I guess. I've never learned these. I've never wanted to.

I'm simply not into "parts". When I was a kid playing along to records, learning songs as the drummer laid it down was of no interest to me. Still isn't.

There are thousands of great drummers that never learned these licks, thats not what i mean. Im saying if a new drummer can master these 2 licks, he can play almost every other “ rock groove.. they are both somewhat challenging and if a newer drummer can learn to play them cleanly, he will learn quite a bit of various skills with those 2.

Last edited:
Or just learn the Purdie shuffle. Honestly learning pretty much any Led Zep song will solidify a new rock drummer's ability to play other things even beyond rock, but having the concept of time signatures down is what really matters for that to be effective.

There are thousands of great drummers that never learned these licks, thats not what i mean. Im saying if a new drummer can master these 2 licks, he can play almost every other “ rock groove.. they are both somewhat challenging and if a newer drummer can learn to play them cleanly, he will learn quite a bit if various skills with those 2.

I see where you are coming from. Learning to play either of those two songs are a great starting foundation for the genre - no doubt. But take it to a
level of trying to play Rush or Genesis, etc.. is going to present new challenges.

I do see your point though.

I just think those two licks can give a new drummer a very solid fiundation to work on and of course, some confidence.
Those 2 licks can really enhance a drummers coordination and dexterity. The fool in the rain groove will also enhance his or her sense of groove. Took me years to find out what the heck groove and feel were.

Or just learn the Purdie shuffle. Honestly learning pretty much any Led Zep song will solidify a new rock drummer's ability to play other things even beyond rock, but having the concept of time signatures down is what really matters for that to be effective.

I’ve been messing with half-time shuffles for about 6 months now, and they really get fun when you start adding hi-hat sizzles. I can’t believe I was 44 before I discovered them. They are by far the most fun groove type I know of.

So which one is this? Learning a beat and reading it are two different things.

If you are asking if the attachment is "WTW" or "FITR", it's neither.

I'm pretty sure that his is a new suggestion for 2 grooves different from what was already discussed.

If you are asking if the attachment is "WTW" or "FITR", it's neither.

I'm pretty sure that his is a new suggestion for 2 grooves different from what was already discussed.

That's why I asked. I went through it briefly and it seemed like neither. That was kinda my point. Everyone has a different idea of what everyone should learn/know. It's not that simple.

It's easy to think that just because I think something is really important or good, that everyone else feels the same way. Everyone is coming at this thing from different angles. Some will agree, but it's not universal.
Had to learn that the hard way.

But the main thing is that the thread has good intentions.

Reactions: TMe
Back