2 cracks in a month.........

Frosticles

Silver Member
In the past 20 years I have never cracked a cymbal (Zildjian) but, have cracked two (Non-Zildjian 18 & 19 crashes) in a month. They have both gone in the same place but have been told it isn't a manufacturing defect so not covered under warranty. In the past, I have suffered cracks from either the leading edge or from the bell hole. Never like these.
Thoughts?.................

fullsizeoutput_e7d by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
IMG_9747 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

KamaK

Platinum Member
Anything change recently? Start playing outdoors? Switch from 5a to 5b? Start working out? Start letting a friend play your kit? New carrying case? Start doing blow? Guitarist buy a new amp that you subconsciously compete with?

Frosticles

Silver Member
Anything change recently? Start playing outdoors? Switch from 5a to 5b? Start working out? Start letting a friend play your kit? New carrying case? Start doing blow? Guitarist buy a new amp that you subconsciously compete with?

Nothing that I know of. Never been a hard hitter of cymbals either. I do fly regularly with them though. I used to with my Zildjians also without issue. Always kept in a Hardcase with all dividers intact & securely clamped down during transit.

vyacheslav

Those sure look like manufacturing defects to me. Even if played improperly/abused with wingnuts tightened down, that's NOT where the cymbals would crack or break.

It sounds like you need to return to Zildjian, or another "reputable" company. No offense, but I've never heard of Scymtek Cymbals. I'm sure many others, especially here in the USA haven't either. Just my two cents. Not criticizing your choices or endorsements, just something to think about, as seen from a "neutral" point of view.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I've heard of Scymtek cybals before, and played some at a NAMM show years ago. There are some very good-sounding cymbals in their offered lines.

But the cracks shown in your cymbals are the result of factory defects. I agree with Vyacheslav - go back to Zildjian or Sabian. They will stand behind their products - and Sabian especially seems quite liberal on their warranty issues.

GeeDeeEmm

Frosticles

Silver Member
Not at liberty to say what cymbals they are but am damn annoyed as to me, this is a manufacturing defect for sure.

P

Peedy

From a practical standpoint, I would add one cymbal to my kit for a while. At least till you figure it all out. That way you won’t be light during your set no matter what happens.

Frosticles

Silver Member
From a practical standpoint, I would add one cymbal to my kit for a while. At least till you figure it all out. That way you won’t be light during your set no matter what happens.

Will be adding one of my old Zildjian's & will see how it goes.

iCe

I've had similar cracks in the Turkish Cymbals models i used years back (hence why i stopped using that brand). They were all replaced under warranty and were manufacturing faults. I even had a crash that had multiple cracks in the bell...

I believe it's generally accepted that when a crack starts in the tonal grooves and it's not the fault of the player (hard hitting, over-tightening the cymbals etc), it's a faulty model. If the crack runs inwards from the edge, most of the time it's Godzilla playing the cymbal.

The only cymbal (and it's replacement) that i cracked since a decade was a Zildjian ZHT 18" EFX Crash and the multiple cracks all started from one of the cut out slots. Was replaced without question. All my other models since 2011 are still going strong.

Frosticles

Silver Member
I've had similar cracks in the Turkish Cymbals models i used years back (hence why i stopped using that brand). They were all replaced under warranty and were manufacturing faults. I even had a crash that had multiple cracks in the bell...

I believe it's generally accepted that when a crack starts in the tonal grooves and it's not the fault of the player (hard hitting, over-tightening the cymbals etc), it's a faulty model. If the crack runs inwards from the edge, most of the time it's Godzilla playing the cymbal.

The only cymbal (and it's replacement) that i cracked since a decade was a Zildjian ZHT 18" EFX Crash and the multiple cracks all started from one of the cut out slots. Was replaced without question. All my other models since 2011 are still going strong.

They are Turkish Cymbals (B20). I am positive this is a manufacturing fault as every other cracking bar one in my 40 years of playing have all been from the edge or the bell. Just not being acknowledges as such though by the manufacturer. :(

trickg

Silver Member
In the past 20 years I have never cracked a cymbal (Zildjian) but, have cracked two (Non-Zildjian 18 & 19 crashes) in a month. They have both gone in the same place but have been told it isn't a manufacturing defect so not covered under warranty. In the past, I have suffered cracks from either the leading edge or from the bell hole. Never like these.
Thoughts?.................
My thoughts are pretty much in line with yours - it's a manufacturing defect, probably caused from a lathe gouge that cut a bit too deep, leaving the metal too thin in spots and prone to cracking.

All cymbals that get played will crack eventually - that's a metallurgy thing and has nothing to do with technique - but it's been my observation, both in my own playing and from what I've heard and observed from others, that certain technique things, or hitting hard with heavier sticks, can cause it to happen quickly.

Since you aren't a hard hitter, but you had two from the same company crack inside of month, and you've never had this issue in the past, to me that indicates an issue with the cymbals themselves, and not with you, not that our opinions are going to help you much with your issues with the manufacturer.

mbettis

I believe that cymbal cracks are independent of location, and have never seen any actual evidence to the contrary.

As far as Frosticle's examples go, I find the one in the first photo suspicious due to the minute flaking near the middle of that crack. That flaking indicates, to me, a possible area of brittleness which may precipitate breakage. Were I the manufacturer of that cymbal, I would replace it under warranty.

Matt

Frosticles

Silver Member
My thoughts are pretty much in line with yours - it's a manufacturing defect, probably caused from a lathe gouge that cut a bit too deep, leaving the metal too thin in spots and prone to cracking.

All cymbals that get played will crack eventually - that's a metallurgy thing and has nothing to do with technique - but it's been my observation, both in my own playing and from what I've heard and observed from others, that certain technique things, or hitting hard with heavier sticks, can cause it to happen quickly.

Since you aren't a hard hitter, but you had two from the same company crack inside of month, and you've never had this issue in the past, to me that indicates an issue with the cymbals themselves, and not with you, not that our opinions are going to help you much with your issues with the manufacturer.

Thank you. We are of the same thinking but, alas, to no avail it seems :(

I believe that cymbal cracks are independent of location, and have never seen any actual evidence to the contrary.

As far as Frosticle's examples go, I find the one in the first photo suspicious due to the minute flaking near the middle of that crack. That flaking indicates, to me, a possible area of brittleness which may precipitate breakage. Were I the manufacturer of that cymbal, I would replace it under warranty.

Matt

These cracks are definitely not covered under the warranty from what I have been told. Definitely not a happy bunny at this point :(

kallewille

I just had a cymbal crack on me like that too. I've only seen one other cymbal do that before, an A Custom 18" crash, but it was beaten on severely. All other cracks I've ever seen have been at the edge (most common for me), at the key hole, or at the bell/bow transition. Mine that just cracked was a 20" Dream cymbal, which sounded great when it wasn't cracked. They're sufficiently cheap that I'd buy another one without hesitation, but it cracking like it did made me think it could have been a manufacturing defect, as my gorilla playing days are well behind me at this point.

Good luck!