1970s (?) Ludwig Super Classic

HollyB

I think I have a 1970s Ludwig Super Classic. Having a hard time determining the year. I looked up the badge guide online but couldn’t find a keystone badge with a 7 digit serial number that matches. Looks like anything made in the 1970s is difficult to determine.

Bass Drum 3114469
12” Rack Tom 3113945
13” Rack Tom 3114238
17” Floor Tom 3113810
14” x 5” Snare

B880C91B-B3A4-4260-9321-BBB81227EF12.jpeg2ECF18A1-66F4-4404-8BE7-D4E18E62C851.jpegE045B108-0DBA-4D5A-9AF7-A359949A57C9.jpegEAD3AAFB-B300-4D27-8CC6-6EA5E99F4211.jpegB2DA34A2-93CD-4DDC-A412-37B12E7EEEBC.jpeg
index.php

Appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• 813815E2-4649-4484-93F1-286A1739AB08.jpeg
    813815E2-4649-4484-93F1-286A1739AB08.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 78

Rotarded

Chicago large keystone badge places them solidly at 1984. This was a one year badge before they moved to Monroe NC in 1985. The Standard snare was introduced in 1969, but could be early 70's as the serial numbers can not date it either. It may have a date stamp inside the shell.

HollyB

Chicago large keystone badge places them solidly at 1984. This was a one year badge before they moved to Monroe NC in 1985. The Standard snare was introduced in 1969, but could be early 70's as the serial numbers can not date it either. It may have a date stamp inside the shell.
I did some more digging on the Vintage Drum Forum after I made the post and found a similar badge that put them in the mid 1980s. The badge shape (uncut top) and odd serial number matched the Monroe badge but mine still had the Chicago stamp. This explains the confusion!

I’m looking to sell them…any recommendations on what to ask for?

This is very helpful thank you!

Rotarded

I did some more digging on the Vintage Drum Forum after I made the post and found a similar badge that put them in the mid 1980s. The badge shape (uncut top) and odd serial number matched the Monroe badge but mine still had the Chicago stamp. This explains the confusion!

I’m looking to sell them…any recommendations on what to ask for?

This is very helpful thank you!
Power toms (deep toms) are not that desirable now. The 17" floor is not a common size and may not help. Are you selling it complete with cymbals?? I'd spitball an estimate, with what look to be low end cymbals, at maybe an absolute high of $800. The snare itself is becoming more popular and I'd say +/- $175 alone.

HollyB

Power toms (deep toms) are not that desirable now. The 17" floor is not a common size and may not help. Are you selling it complete with cymbals?? I'd spitball an estimate, with what look to be low end cymbals, (without the snare) at maybe a high of $800. The snare is becoming more popular and I'd say +/- $175.
Looking to sell everything hardware, cymbals and all!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I would re-measure all of the drums with the heads off to better determine their actual size. The floor tom is either 16" or 18" (Ludwig never made a 17" drum).

It appears that the floor tom has both legs and a Modular tom mount, meaning the legs were added after the fact.

I would try to sell the snare separately, the cymbals separately, the hardware separately, and the toms and bass drum together. I can't say much about the cymbals since I can't see very much. The Camber hi hats aren't very desirable but the others might be. You'll get more money if you try to break things up into smaller groups, and shipping will be a lot more manageable.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I would re-measure all of the drums with the heads off to better determine their actual size.
This. Common power tom sizes were 12x11, 13x12 ..... the floor tom might actually be a power tom (16x15). Ludwig did hang 16x16's with modular hardware, too (16x16). So knowing exact sizes will help sell this.
I would try to sell the snare separately, the cymbals separately, the hardware separately, and the toms and bass drum together.
And this. Most drummers, if they're at all interested in the kit ..... they already have a snare ..... they already have hardware and cymbals. Modular hardware came out in 1980 ..... and the move to Monroe was in '85, so I think Rotarded is correct at 1984, for this kit. But for the sake of the sale, calling it an early-80's kit should suffice.

Pretty much all the selling platforms let you choose "make offer" should you want to go that route.

HollyB

I would re-measure all of the drums with the heads off to better determine their actual size. The floor tom is either 16" or 18" (Ludwig never made a 17" drum).

It appears that the floor tom has both legs and a Modular tom mount, meaning the legs were added after the fact.

I would try to sell the snare separately, the cymbals separately, the hardware separately, and the toms and bass drum together. I can't say much about the cymbals since I can't see very much. The Camber hi hats aren't very desirable but the others might be. You'll get more money if you try to break things up into smaller groups, and shipping will be a lot more manageable.
Will definitely re-measure and try to sell separately now that I know more details. Thank you again for the feedback!

HollyB

This. Common power tom sizes were 12x11, 13x12 ..... the floor tom might actually be a power tom (16x15). Ludwig did hang 16x16's with modular hardware, too (16x16). So knowing exact sizes will help sell this.

And this. Most drummers, if they're at all interested in the kit ..... they already have a snare ..... they already have hardware and cymbals. Modular hardware came out in 1980 ..... and the move to Monroe was in '85, so I think Rotarded is correct at 1984, for this kit. But for the sake of the sale, calling it an early-80's kit should suffice.

Pretty much all the selling platforms let you choose "make offer" should you want to go that route.

I didn’t want to piece it off but looks like that may be the best option. I’m moving cross country and need to make a quick sale. Was hoping it was older but ah well. Thanks for the feedback!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The fact that there are top and bottom lugs instead of one-piece hi tension lugs is a big plus.

Sparkle wraps are also popular once again, so that's another thing in your favor. I'm curious if these drums tend more toward blue or more toward green...They look sort of teal in the posted pics, which wasn't an option back then.

HollyB

The fact that there are top and bottom lugs instead of one-piece hi tension lugs is a big plus.

Sparkle wraps are also popular once again, so that's another thing in your favor. I'm curious if these drums tend more toward blue or more toward green...They look sort of teal in the posted pics, which wasn't an option back then.
It’s more teal which I couldn’t find in any of the old catalogs. It almost makes me question if its a Super Classic.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
At the time these drums were made (1984) there was no Super Classic line. These drums have a thicker 6-ply maple/poplar shell and that was the only option because Ludwig only had a single pro-level set. In 1988 they added a thinner 4-ply shell, which they named Super Classic series, and then called the standard 6-ply drums Classic series.

HollyB

Gotcha, it’s a Classic, that makes a huge difference. I still can’t find the exact color anywhere online. It’s a pretty unique kit, difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is.

opentune

Platinum Member
I didn’t want to piece it off but looks like that may be the best option. I’m moving cross country and need to make a quick sale. Was hoping it was older but ah well. Thanks for the feedback!

That Standard snare and the Zildjian cymbals will sell quickly for the right price.
Many people buying used gear don't want to 'buy everything' anyway.