1963 Slingerland

simmsdn

Silver Member
Just showing off a little bit.

I found a 1963 Slingerland kit on Craigslist here in Fairbanks, AK (any drums here is rare) for $175. For another $25 the guy added a 20" Sabian Jack DeJohnette ride (the original version of the cymabl, not the Encore or Vault series).

Regardless, I'm putting a lot of effort into bringing these back into playing shape. Over time, I may be able to get them back 100% original, but want to get them in playing shape in the interim.

So far, I've finished the 8"x12. The chrome cleaned up beautifully, the shell is in good shape (wrap is obviously faded after 50 years of use).

I also finished a 5"x14" Steel snare. It's from the 70s and was a complete mess, so I did the terrible and drilled a hole in it and bend the shell back into round. It will never really be a collectable, but can at least still be played.

I'm fitting the toms with Aquarian coated Studio-X and Classic Clear. Bass drum is getting a Super Kick II and a Regulator.

I'll post some more pictures as I continue along this summer project...to include some 'before' shots. Repairing/restoring vintage drums is a great thing, it's like saving a bit of our history...and this is a bit cheaper than the tiny new kits from Sonor or Ludwig that I was considering buying until this fell into my lap.

Attachments

• 20130613_202023.jpg
    20130613_202023.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 1,015

wildbill

Platinum Member
Sounds like a very worthy project, with a great starting price layout. The drum in the pic looks really good. I wouldn't worry much about the hole in the snare. Hopefully it sounds OK.

What are the sizes of the other drums?

simmsdn

Silver Member
14"x20" Bass Drum
16"x16" Floor Tom

There also an additional 8"x12" Tom, but I'm missing the hoops for it, so I'm going with a 4-piece set up. Maybe someday I'll get around to hunting down the hoops (they're not overly difficult to find).

Yeah, I'm not worried about a hole in a steel snare. It sounds passable, but not great. I have plenty of good snares to choose from anyway.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Man oh man ..... you stole those tubs for that price! Sweet.​

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Nice, keep us posted with pics as you bring the kit back into shape.

simmsdn

Silver Member
I did a lot of work the past two days.

I finished the floor tom and I have the bass drum taken apart. I made a trip to Home Depot and replaced the thumb screws for the floor tom legs. Now they all match and look 99% like the original. I also found rubber feet for the legs. One of the music stores in town was a Slingerland dealer 30 years ago, so he actually had a few parts I needed.

As you can tell, there was some minor de-lamination of the re-ring from the 3-ply shell. Good thing I have ample clamps to work through this minor issue.

I have to work on securing the bass drum badge properly after the wood is set, as well as a small area where the BDP is coming un-seamed on the bass. Again, minor issues.

Luckily, the only polishing left are the bass drum rods and hooks. Shouldn't be much pain. I also bought "new" hoops on ebay...waiting for those to arrive. I need to order a 20" reso head in the next day or two as well.

Once I get everything, I'll post some more pictures and will do a video as well.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 774
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 774

simmsdn

Silver Member
I work the shells over with buffing compound and a 6" rotary buffer. Wipe shell, then apply a coat of car wax (I like Meguiar's). Buff to a shine.

Most of the grime I've pulled off these drums has been smoke (brown, not black grime). It looks nasty (smoker's lung type nasty).

What I am amazed is how ultra quality these drums are. I've messed with vintage Ludwig and Rogers a bit, but the Slingerland quality, from this time period, surpasses Ludwig and Rogers. The chrome is very well done, the lugs are solid as are the hoops. I'd put the build quality up against anything made today. The tom mounts and cymbal stands of the era are not a match, but anything affixed to the drum itself is superb.

Stixnergard2

Great kit, love the wrap, I have it on my Slingies. Please consider single ply Aquarian Texture coated heads, let them sing.

simmsdn

Silver Member
I'm talking about unmuffled single ply heads. have fun with the restoration, Here is a picture of my kit:

Darn near the same kit! Mine has the clip style tom mount and the wrap on mine isn't quite as nice. They were gigged in smoke filled bars a lot and all of that got trapped in the BDP.

I hear you on the heads. I've been playing Studio-X for 20 years now. I'm just used to these heads. I've experimented a couple of times, but always come back to them.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Just a point of information.The set-o-matic tom holder didn't come out till 69,so those aren't 63 Slingerlands,unless the tom mount was altered from the original rail consolette which would be correct for 63..

Post the serial numbers stamped on the badges so we can look them up.I'm thinking the whole set is early 70's.

Steve B

Stixnergard2

Just a point of information.The set-o-matic tom holder didn't come out till 69,so those aren't 63 Slingerlands,unless the tom mount was altered from the original rail consolette which would be correct for 63..

Post the serial numbers stamped on the badges so we can look them up.I'm thinking the whole set is early 70's.

Steve B

Black and gold badges and push button floor Tom mounts are 60's era

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Black and gold badges and push button floor Tom mounts are 60's era

The floor tom leg mounts are T bolts and not push button.I'm also seeing black and silver badges,but the bass drum "may" be a black and gold.But there was transition between the black and gold/silver badges.

Supplies were used till they were used up so there were sets made in 69 with black and silver badges and vise versa.The setomatic holder is no doubt 68/ 69 or later.

Steve B

simmsdn

Silver Member
Interior shells are stamped AUG or SEP 63.

Check your information...multiple tom mounts in the 1963 catalog. The clip type being one of them.

Black and gold badges with very low serial numbers. No badges on toms. All signs point to 1963 before the hippys took over.