1960's Ludwig very rare Ringo Star type

markomoreno

Original not re-issue along with original Ludwig weather-master heads, and matching snare. A very rare find. Exactly like the one Ringo played. Also comes with cymbals from that era as well. 2- zildjian 1- paiste (stanople) made in Germany. Asking $2500 for the 4Pc Ludwig and it's cymbals. It's a great drumset to have. Great History! If any questions call me at 832-878-4879 Marko and or the store and ask for me at 713-781-2100. Thanks! I have been trying to post the pics on here, but I can e-mail you some pics. For some reason after I had to make the pic files smaller, it still not posting the pics on here. So please be patient and I can send you pics from my e-mail- markomoreno@evansmusiccity.com or marko.moreno8@gmail.com. My gmail will prob be quicker.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
If you're speaking about a 64 to 68 Ludwig downbeat or super classic model kit,in oyster black pearl,they are anything but rare.Around that time,oyster black pearl was THE MOST popular wrap by far so those drums do NOT fall into the RARE catagory.If they are in 100% original condition,then they will be collectable,an as such usually re sale for more money than other kits,in different wraps,from the same era.

Rare,and Ringo are two of the most overused words in the resale of vintage drums.

Steve B

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
What are the sizes? Does the wrap on the snare match the wrap on the kit? Like, does it appear to have the same B.O.P. swirl pattern among the drums?

larryz

Platinum Member
I've read where pro Drum Shop in Hollywood in '64 had the biggest single order in Ludwig history to that point: 365 black oyster pearl kits, one for each day of the year. They were selling that many. And that's just one drum store in one country.

Being a Beatles vinyl collector, I also know that far toomany believe original Beatles lps are rare, when in fact, they aren't. They sold tens of millions of lps in the 1960s. What is rare is when you find one in near mint condition. Anyway, I'd love a black oyster kit. Just not for $2,500.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
During that period,Ludwig was working 3 shifts a day (24 hrs),6 days a week,and on average,pumping out 100 four piece kits a day,not including school,symphonic,and marching gear.Thats over 31,300 kits a year.Nothing rare about that.Like I said...."rare",is THE most overused ,and for the most part,innacurate term in selling vintage drums.Followed closely by Ringo,The Beatles,and...,,,Bonham.:)

Steve B

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Not sure if this is true, but I read a profile of Ringo that said he kept every kit he played with the Beatles. Pry one of those from Ringo's paws...THAT is rare! LOL

larryz

Platinum Member
I know that several of his original Ludwig bass drum heads with The Beatles on them are in private hands now. Classic Drummer magazine did a good story on the topic years ago.