1960s KRUT Special 22"

tcspears

Gold Member
Hi,

I searched the forums, but didn't see too many posts about Krut cymbals, so i thought I'd start new post. I recently picked up a 1960s Krut Special 22" ride for about $50. It's about 2100 gr, so not super heavy. I haven't had a chance to play on it too much yet, but it's got an interesting tone. I'm thinking this could hav a nice sound for some of the more post bop gigs that I do where I want a trashier sounding ride.

Does anyone have any experience with these cymbals? There isn't much on the internet about them. I know they were made in England (possibly by premier), and that they are on the lower end of the spectrum as they came with drum kits. other than that I'm clueless...

Hi,

I searched the forums, but didn't see too many posts about Krut cymbals, so i thought I'd start new post. I recently picked up a 1960s Krut Special 22" ride for about $50. It's about 2100 gr, so not super heavy. I haven't had a chance to play on it too much yet, but it's got an interesting tone. I'm thinking this could hav a nice sound for some of the more post bop gigs that I do where I want a trashier sounding ride.

Does anyone have any experience with these cymbals? There isn't much on the internet about them. I know they were made in England (possibly by premier), and that they are on the lower end of the spectrum as they came with drum kits. other than that I'm clueless...

You're on the right track... Usually pretty lightweight and made from nickel silver. glassy sound... Not terribly rare... $50 is a decent deal. Those old NS cymbals really re-hammer nicely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC07RmeiF0A

The first kit that I bought was a used Slingerland back in the early 70's. It came with a set of Krut cymbals. I remember being very happy when I was able to ditch them for a pair of Zildjian New Beat hats and a Zildjian ride and crash. They were not good sounding cymbals to my ears even back then when I was a beginner.

Last edited:
Krut was my very first set of hats my parents bought me back in the 70s. I was so excited when I saw them. Then I hit them and was greatly disappointed. Dull and mushy as could be. The cymbal holes were small and would only fit on a real cheap hi-hat stand, since a normal hi-hat rod was too big for them.

Krut was my very first set of hats my parents bought me back in the 70s. I was so excited when I saw them. Then I hit them and was greatly disappointed. Dull and mushy as could be. The cymbal holes were small and would only fit on a real cheap hi-hat stand, since a normal hi-hat rod was too big for them.

It's funny you mention that, I brought the cymbal to a gig and tought I'd try it for a few songs, and it wouldn't fit on my cymbal stand! So mauch for that idea haha.

I'm going to look to see if I can get a smaller sleeve and see if that helps.

Got given some of these on my first kit when I was 4 in 1987, good starter cymbals.

Acquired a bag full of them when someone gave me an old Stratford Holiday kit 10 years ago. I took them to a scrap yard and sold them for scrap value which is more than I'd have sold them for as an instrument!

Back