1957 Ludwig WFL red sparkle. Help!!

Kelly!

Found this on a website and I really want to purchase. I'm basically going in "sight unseen" if I do decide to pull the trigger. It's described as a 1957 ludwig WFL vintage drum set red sparkle. The plus side is that it IS returnable. The downside is that it's gonna cost $1300. Is that the going rate? Or, relatively speaking, is this a score? Thanks in advance for advice! The attached picture is all I have to go by...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,163
It seems you don't really know what you are contemplating purchasing. Is there a reason you want this kit? What are you looking to use it for and what are you expecting out of it?

To be honest, I have no use for it. I buy and sell gear for extra cash. I respect the vintage scene/gear/crowd but its not really my thing. I'm just not well educated on the potential value of vintage gear. The last vintage kit I bought, a 1961 ludwig superclassic sky blue pearl, I made over $700 profit. So I'm thinking about dealing more with vintage gear. I know this kit doesn't have that kind of profit potential, but I feel like there's definitely some money to be made.

Ah. I see. A fellow flipper. Vintage gear, along with any other gear, it's worth what one will pay. With the vintage stuff you really have to find someone who is in a bind or doesn't know what they have to turn a profit.

Ah. I see. A fellow flipper. Vintage gear, along with any other gear, it's worth what one will pay. With the vintage stuff you really have to find someone who is in a bind or doesn't know what they have to turn a profit.

Nailed it! But in this case, I don't think it's either of the situations you've mentioned. $1300 is not cheap by any means. But I still think that there's money to be made. I'm starting to feel like there's not enough meat left on the bone though.. Wha'dya think? Thanks friend!

Do you have any other pics? Close ups of the shells, edges and hardware would be nice, but I don't think you will turn much of a profit quickly.

That's all I got... I think you're right though. I'm just gonna have to let it go probably. I like dealing with vintage ludwig but I don't think there's much to be made on this one... Thanks for your help friend! It's a good deal for someone who's interested in purchasing to play or collect! Hit me up and I'll share the address with you guys!

Can't tell much about that kit from that one small pic.
Best of luck to you.

Can't tell much about that kit from that one small pic.
Best of luck to you.

Preachin to the choir bob... I think you're right though, this is too much of a risk for me... To make money off of anyway. If anybody is interested in purchasing for enjoyment or collecting, I have the address.

To be honest, I have no use for it ..... but I feel like there's definitely some money to be made.
I'd say pass. $1300 is no bargain. Unless you already have a buyer lined up, there's no guarantee you'll be able to sell it for $1300. WFL's are great shells. Better finished (less quirky) than Ludwig. Simply because they weren't being manufactured (number wise) like the Luddies. But ...... they're not as sought after as the Luddies.​

Last edited:
I'd say pass. $1300 is no bargain. Unless you already have a buyer lined up, there's no guarantee you'll be able to sell it for $1300. WFL's are great shells. Better finished (less quirky) than Ludwig. Simply because they weren't being manufactured (number wise) like the Luddies. But ...... they're not as sought after and the Luddies.​

Very sound advice! Thank you for your help.

Kelly, please don't take this wrong, I'm really not trying to be a smart a$$ I'm just trying to give some advise.

If you are looking to buy older used equipment to turn and make a profit you need to educate yourself more about the different models, the going prices, and what to look for in good values. Older classic drums can be great investments but you can also loose you butt quickly on a set that you thought was a good deal. Good luck. John

Kelly, please don't take this wrong, I'm really not trying to be a smart a$$ I'm just trying to give some advise.

If you are looking to buy older used equipment to turn and make a profit you need to educate yourself more about the different models, the going prices, and what to look for in good values. Older classic drums can be great investments but you can also loose you butt quickly on a set that you thought was a good deal. Good luck. John

Lol absolutely john! That's why I posted this evening! I admit being ignorant to vintage values. That's why I seek some help! You guys are great!

Nice kit. I love my Red Sparkles. They're 2007's though haha!
Probably a good idea passing on this one. If you were buying to own/play, then it'd be something cool to have. Trying to sell for a profit might have you sitting on it a while.
If you saw it in person, and it was pristine, that might be another story.

The WORST thing (in finding this stuff) is fighting the "oh man, I gotta have that" feeling that creeps in.
That's when you spend money you sometimes end up wishing you didn't haha!
It's usually not full blown regret, but something else always comes along later....

Good luck in your buying/selling!

If you are thinking of flipping these, just pass. If you want them to play and enjoy, then the price isn't crazy.

+1000. If you intend to get into vintage drums without lots of research and education...it's just a matter of time till you get burned.Guys like Rob Cooke,John Aldridge,Mike Corroto and many others like myself will be the first ones to tell you...just when you think you you have a grasp on it all,you learn something different.

The standard of proof has to be many things...not just a serial number or wrap finish that validates a drums originality.Knowing what you're looking at takes time and hands on experience.You'll never learn it all from books or the internet.

This knowledge takes time to accumulate,and many years of sometimes trial and failure.

To read a few books and think you know it all,simply results in validating the axiom of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

My best advice is stay away from vintage for a few years till you have a much better grasp on the subject.Stay with what you REALLY know.If you have to ask a lot of questions about buying vintage gear,know what questions to ask and you won't get burned.

Just trying to look out for a forum brother.

Steve B

Back