1950 Gretsch Broadkaster Rewrap Pic's

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I decided to rewrap my 1950 Gretsch Broadkaster.
The old wrap didn't come off easy and I sweated a bit during the project. :)
It was a rewarding endeavor in the end though. I am really lovin the new look of my old drums.
The drums were originally WMP that had gotten really ugly over the years.
The bass drum is a 1952 and the outer ply was luan wood instead of maple like the toms and snare from my 1950 drums.
What a difference a few years make as far as construction are concerned.
They sound as good as they look by the way :)
I am really happy to see them in like new condition.
As you can see I have added modern hardware to the kit. I use the Ludwig Atlas Arch tom mounting system.
I also added modern Gretsch floor tom legs and mounts as well as a modern Gretsch bass drum mounted cymbal arm.
The Stick Saver hoops have been modernized to Gretsch 3 mm thick 302 hoops. They replicate the thin Stick Chooper's but they are 2 mm thicker.
They are awesome for these old kits! They sound in between a cast hoop and a thin Stick Chopper hoop.

Attachments

Last edited:

opentune

Platinum Member
Nice, clean elegant look. Classy.
The Tama Camco pedal. I have two more 'modern' pedals but all around the Camco is still my fave. Yours too?

Macarina

Silver Member
I'm coming around to liking the look of retro drums.

Both of the wrap editions you've taken pictures look awesome.

I'm very impressed with care, time and look of the installation of the new wrap. Good, no great job.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I'm coming around to liking the look of retro drums.

Both of the wrap editions you've taken pictures look awesome.

I'm very impressed with care, time and look of the installation of the new wrap. Good, no great job.
Thank You, I'm glad that you were impressed enough to comment. Classics never go out of style. My philosophy on vintage drums is to keep what you see and hear that is good and upgrade what you see and here that is lacking. I have other vintage kits where I kept the original wrap because it is in excellent condition.
I do the same with the hardware. On this kit for example, I kept the classic bass drum spurs because they looked good and they worked well. I changed hardware that didn't work well with hardware that did work well and also preserved the look and feel of the era.
The 50's was all about big chrome and decadence combined with elegance.
The Ludwig Atlas Arch tom mount goes along with that feeling. The thick 302 hoops preserve the original Stick Chopper appearance but they perform much better with modern drumheads. The original floor tom legs rattled and wobbled. They had to go. That floor tom is like hitting an anvil now! The internal mufflers rattled. I removed them.
The sound of these old 3 ply shells is awesome. My mods enhanced the sound.
This kit sounds unique because of my modifications.
As you get into retrofitting vintage drums, you will find that it becomes really personal.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Beautiful!
I agree 100% to replace the mounting system and stands. While some will argue you're no longer "vintage", others (myself included) say upgrading hardware for a kit you still play is only logical.

I had a vintage set of Roger's that I did a similar hardware upgrade on and was told I "ruined them".

This is a work of art my friend. Play them until your arms fall off!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. Corny.

Hey Bob, is that a Gretsch sky blue pearl wrap or a Ludwig sky blue pearl? I'm pretty sure the two wraps looked different from each other.