18" Kick for Christian Rock?

justinxIP

Been thinking about buying a starclassic that is up on craigslist. It's $425 for 18x20" kick, 10, 12, and 14x14 on legs. 18" diameter and 20" deep. Mind you, starclassics are one of my dream kits (realistic dream) and I always wanted one. the 14x14 on legs is ideal and the finish isn't bad either.

The main question I have is whether I'll be able to get good all-around bass sound out of an 18" kick. I play mainly contemporary Christian music at my church. The 2 times I play regularly per week, my kit is mic'd. There are some times when I play events and I don't get to mic everything up. But even then, the kick is priority for micing.
If I mic my kit up 90% of the time, will I have no problem getting a good thumping, booming, solid sound out of this kit??? just something that sounds big enough to stand up with my other drums. I generally use large cymbals and play with full bands.thanks!

If I mic my kit up 90% of the time, will I have no problem getting a good thumping, booming, solid sound out of this kit??? just something that sounds big enough to stand up with my other drums. I generally use large cymbals and play with full bands.thanks!
Here;s a 16x16 kick, at work. 13" and 14" floors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3fTeZQF9MY&feature=g-user-u You can make your own assessment on its merit.​
You mention your "other" drums. What are those? And if you're happy with those, why not just add an 18" to your already existing kit?​

If the kit is miced like you say and you have a great PA w/subs; you can make any drum sound great. Generally, the bigger the drums(s), the bigger the sound. This is not always the case though. I've heard 20" kick drums that sound larger than 22's side by side. There is something to be said for materials and construction when it comes to how loud a drum sounds along with head selection and tuning.

Be fine. If you've got a white christian guy over the age of 40 on sound you'll have no chance of hearing it out front anyways. Bass, nevgative two. Treble, cranked to eleven. Thousand, that is.

Does anyone else ALWAYS get the sound guy that eq's through $2 headphones and never takes them off to check the actual sound in the actual room or is that just me? :D

I think you have the size backwards like WildBill said. I'm betting that the drum is actually 20 inch in dia and 18 inches deep. If that is the case you have no problems. That size kick will sound great. John

If the Good Lord wanteth quality sound, the Good Lord will maketh so.

Seriously, get the kit. Cut the bass to 14". Be happy.

Well you'd need to bless it with holy water if you want to play Christian Rock. Have you factored that into the overall cost too?
I agree. Sometimes it's the smaller things which make the most difference. Give it a try.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed not having seen any gear related question on "Satan Rock" ever - that would balance things out a bit (you know - same tools, it always depends on what you make out of them and what you use them for - they come identical 'from stock').

Hi. Mic'd bass drums make less of a difference than un-mic'd. Reason being is that they can EQ it (within reason) at the board to fit the bill.

If you are buying it for yourself though, and say you move or join a new church or have to gig with it, you may not be as happy with it. That's an odd size for a BD.

p.s. don't pay attention to these guys dogging your faith. they know not what they do.

Back