18" K Custom Session Ride - Steve Gadd.

fijjibo

Platinum Member
I a picking one of these up used on friday.

Tis gonna be awesome....

Those of you who know me know that I have been stuck with plaet z's for almost three years, due to the high unaffordable price of cymbals. I finally got a job - and my first paycheck comes in on friday - and Im heading straight over to the drum shop!!!!

My dealer told me he had this ride going cheap, do I got him to put it to one side for me (hes a wonderful bloke - http://www.talkinheadz.co.uk.

Anyone here use one? (Gadd not included - WE KNOW YOU LURK HERE!!!!) lol

Heres a pic:
256863.jpg

Im sooooo happy - Im sure you can see why....

fijjibo

Platinum Member
Sorry, forgot to add that Im paying 125 pounds for it (unless I can barter the price down)

I think its a good deal, what about you?

F

fourstringdrums

Sorry, forgot to add that Im paying 125 pounds for it (unless I can barter the price down)

I think its a good deal, what about you?

I don't know what this cymbal goes for new in pounds, but converting it into U.S. Dollars it's not a deal at all. 125 pounds (according to the currency conversion I used) is $254 U.S. Dollars. That's how much a new 18" Session Ride costs here.

*edit* I just looked, and new that ride in pounds is 221, so I'd say you did get a good deal.

fijjibo

Platinum Member
I don't know what this cymbal goes for new in pounds, but converting it into U.S. Dollars it's not a deal at all. 125 pounds (according to the currency conversion I used) is $254 U.S. Dollars. That's how much a new 18" Session Ride costs here.

The ride new here is about three hundred pounds.

Bear in mind though that at the moment the dollar is weak against the pound - its over two dollars to a pound - which explain the $254 price tag when converted.

It honestly is a godd deal - but when you convert it into another currency it doesnt seem that way.

EDIT - sorry Rob, I posted before seeing your edit....

F

fourstringdrums

The ride new here is about three hundred pounds.

Bear in mind though that at the moment the dollar is weak against the pound - its over two dollars to a pound - which explain the $254 price tag when converted.

It honestly is a godd deal - but when you convert it into another currency it doesnt seem that way.

EDIT - sorry Rob, I posted before seeing your edit....

Yeah even before I edited I realized that conversion doesn't mean anything :)

So you're not going all Bosphorus like I had hoped huh? :)

fijjibo

Platinum Member
Yeah even before I edited I realized that conversion doesn't mean anything :)

So you're not going all Bosphorus like I had hoped huh? :)

Ahhhh - the inevitable question....

The story goes that I want to have a full setup of Bos - But I am in love with K's, so I wanted at least one in my setup...

Fear not though - my current plan goes like this:

14" Trad crash (already own :) )
18" K session ride (picking up in a couple days)

17" trad dark crash (eventually....)
14" Turk or New orleans hats (my next purchase....)

So to answer your question - I am getting a full Bos cymbal setup but with a K for god measure.

But hey - maybe Ill replace the K some day - you never know with drums.....

Steamer

Platinum Member
I think you should test this cymbal before you commit to buying it is my word of advice. Last Spring I tested a few of these at a local shop and it is on the noticably heavy side for a 18" and not quick to respond and dare I say a little clangy and high pitched based on the samples I tested. Not impressed with this cymbal personally but that was based on what I heard and tested.

fijjibo

Platinum Member
I think you should test this cymbal before you commit to buying it is my word of advice. Last Spring I tested a few of these at a local shop and it is on the noticably heavy side for a 18" and not quick to respond and dare I say a little clangy and high pitched based on the samples I tested. Not impressed with this cymbal personally but that was based on what I heard and tested.

I took this cymbal home on loan about a month ago - and yes - it is heavy, but I like it.

I will of course test it some more though.

fijjibo

Platinum Member
That's cool. Just not sure if you knew it was a rather heavy 18 incher. Good luck!.

Its cool - thanks for the heads up.

I did find it was quite low in pitch for a small ride though - due to the hammering patterns methinks....

Steamer

Platinum Member
Its cool - thanks for the heads up.

I did find it was quite low in pitch for a small ride though - due to the hammering patterns methinks....

I was referring to the stick sound being high pitched due to the size and weight of this 18" cymbal. If you found one you like that's all that really matters and have fun.

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
The 18" K Costum Session Ride - Steve Gadd

...is a very special cymbal. It sounds dry and clear (..for not saying "cheap")...be sure as every tester of drum-magazines and also me: you will not like it....at the first moment.

But after a while you see, that it goes very well with all different sounds of the band and some feets away in the public it sounds awesome. Also for recordings. So you have to trust Steve Gadd - he uses exactly this one as main ride - and must get used to it - will probably take some time. I use it now as main ride for three years and my bandmates love it.

Bernhard

fijjibo

Platinum Member
The 18" K Costum Session Ride - Steve Gadd

...is a very special cymbal. It sounds dry and clear (..for not saying "cheap")...be sure as every tester of drum-magazines and also me: you will not like it....at the first moment.

But after a while you see, that it goes very well with all different sounds of the band and some feets away in the public it sounds awesome. Also for recordings. So you have to trust Steve Gadd - he uses exactly this one as main ride - and must get used to it - will probably take some time. I use it now as main ride for three years and my bandmates love it.

Bernhard

Its an honour to have your imput.

I actually think that due to its thickness it is designed for the audience's ears - as is Gadds philosophy.

fijjibo

fijjibo

Platinum Member
Right - I got it today, and et me tell you something - Bernhard was right.

Up close it sounds very attacky, with alot of high pitches in there, which is not mi ideal ride sound at all.

But once I started playing it with other cymbals, and listening to it from a distance - it sounds perfect!!!!

Man - Gadd/Bernie was right........

What matters is the sound to the listeners of your music, not what it sounds like to you in your practice room up close.

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
I've been playing this cymbal as my main ride for more than two years. I absolutely love the way is records and how it sounds out front. I was a little skeptical at first both because of its size and its weight but I am now completely a fan. I love the wau is sounds with the rest of my cymbals (mostly K's) and especially the 13" K hats which are by far the most versatile cymbals I have ever owned.

Great purchase - I beleive you will grow to love this cymbal.
Paul

the skin man

I'm pretty sure a few members on cymbalholic said it was one of the worst they had ever heard and that the one that Steve Gadd plays is made differently but sounds good. That last part may just be a rumor Maybe they just played bad ones and you have a try a bunch before you get a good one.

Steamer

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure a few members on cymbalholic said it was one of the worst they had ever heard and that the one that Steve Gadd plays is made differently but sounds good. That last part may just be a rumor Maybe they just played bad ones and you have a try a bunch before you get a good one.

The two that I tried skinman this Spring were real clungers. Sounds like Bernard and others have come across some good ones. I could not imagine playing the samples I heard on a regular basis no matter how they sounded out front. I have to like a cymbal based on how it's sounds with a band and how it sounds and responds from the drum chair to make me feel feel good about it and neither sample I tried passed this test.

freehandstyle

I tested it and i thought it sounded pretty good, that was until i brought it to my church and compared to it my ZBT 20" ride.

For about twice the amount of the price, i felt i got only got a slight bit of difference. I later on switched to a K heavy ride and I was much more happy cause I guess i wanted something else.

A interesting question i asked myself after was whether they made the ZBT ride really good, or the K custom Session 20" ride is bad? :p

But i think I will have to agree with Bernard on that one, it's probably I haven't spent enough time to learn it and get used to it. Perhaps if I kept it and used it longer I would have different insights but I'm happy with my K Heavy 20" ride right now :)

dharma bum

I'm happy with my K Heavy 20" ride right now :)

The K Heavy has been my main ride for years now, playing blues and rock. It's worked great, sometimes I think I want something a bit, well, less Heavy, but I keep comin' back to it - and it does sound great from out front.

fijjibo

Platinum Member
I get what you guys mean about the ride - its a bit clangly on its own - but when you play it with other K's, and with music in context - Its awesome.

I just think its one of those cymbals that gets better over time.