18 inch HH praise

lefty2

Platinum Member
Several years ago I bought an aax 20 in ISO crash specifically for the classic rock band I was playing in at the time. I was using it as a crash ride I liked just about everything about it within the context of that band. I also bought an 18in K dark crash to go with it. After I left that band that I decided to sell the iso crash in order to purchase a HH medium thin crash to go with the 16 HH that I've had for many years. Now That same band needs a drummer to help hold the band together while their drummer is having back surgery. So I told them I'd help them out. Last night I took the 18 and 16 HH cymbals for rehearsal and to my surprise the 18 almost fills the duties of a good crash ride. I love the crash sound of the 18 playing old Zeppelin, Beatles, stones,etc. and the ride sound is not all that bad either except for it doesn't have very much ping, definition is somewhat faint but the wash is great.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Although I play my 17" hi hats more than my 14" New Beats, going up to 18" seems a bit too big. I guess it's mental ;)
I do have three 18-inch inch cymbals. I suppose I could try it sometime. I don't know if my DW 6000 lightweight stand with hold them LOL. I do have a heavy duty Yamaha stand with two legs.

556Cliff

Although I play my 17" hi hats more than my 14" New Beats, going up to 18" seems a bit too big. I guess it's mental ;)
I really want to try some 17" hats like what Steve Jordan uses, though my 18" hats have been pretty nice, and once you get used to them they don't seem to out of place with their size... Especially when all of the other cymbals that surround them are no smaller than 22" inches. ;)

Last edited:

556Cliff

I do have three 18-inch inch cymbals. I suppose I could try it sometime. I don't know if my DW 6000 lightweight stand with hold them LOL. I do have a heavy duty Yamaha stand with two legs.
I don't know about those stands, but my DW9000 hi-hat stand with three legs has no problems with the big hats.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The lightest I'll go with my 17" hats is a DW7500 single-braced hi hat stand, which is very much like the Yamaha HH750 stand (I think the Yamaha one is built better). It just has to be a three-legged stand, I suppose. But I also have a DW5500 three legged monster too - that can jack up my car.

One Up One Down

I have a Sabian 18" Hand Hammered Dark Crash (it's a bit older so it actually says "Hand Hammered" and not HH) and I do love it. I'm looking for a ride that pairs well with it. In my mind, a 20" ride might not be big enough. Is this is just a nonsensical opinion or would a bigger ride really be more suitable?

(Currently I have a 21" Bash Ride. I really want an HHX Omni. )

lefty2

Platinum Member
I don't know about those stands, but my DW9000 hi-hat stand with three legs has no problems with the big hats.
The 6000 hi-hat stand is extremely lightweight flat based. One of the main complaints I see about it is that it's wobbly and unstable. Mine wobbles but not to the point that I want to get a different one.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a Sabian 18" Hand Hammered Dark Crash (it's a bit older so it actually says "Hand Hammered" and not HH) and I do love it. I'm looking for a ride that pairs well with it.

(Currently I have a 21" Bash Ride. I really want an HHX Omni. )
That's the same HH Sabian that I have except for it's not dark it's a medium thin written in cursive it says hand-hammered. I had a 20in and hammered that I sold. I also have a k 20-inch ride I like the K just a touch better the 20 inch hand-hammered . The hand-hammered did not have as much stick definition as the k. The hand-hammered was a little more buttery feeling I guess. But I think both of them went well with the 18 in medium thin that I have. My main ride is 22in aax Omni. I love it. You should try that out as well as the hhx Omni

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure they were made for longer than that with the cursive logo. I doubt I'll ever sell it, but you never know.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
My recollection is a bit different; I'm quite sure that this was the logo in use in 95/96...

I believe the "Hand Hammered" script logo started more like '98-99.

Sabian-20HH-Sound-Control-Ride.jpg

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I just checked to see when I bought my 16 in. it was purchased new in 2005. Now it's quite possible that it was made quite a few years before it's sold. The 18 that I bought used within this last year still has the sticker under the Bell with the barcode on it. That kind of makes me think it's not too terribly old