18” Zildjian Stack

Wdkbuffalo

I’m trying to create an 18” stack that’s kind of like the Meinl Anika Nilles deep hats but maybe a tiny bit trashier (not too trashy). I already have the K EFX for the top but I’m struggling with what to put underneath. Debating between a K Custom Dry Crash and K Custom Dry China. I know Benny Greb has played a stack with a china underneath and I liked it. But I’m not sure if having the holes in both the top and bottom cymbals will make it sound bad. Does anyone have any experience with this?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Not 18", but have played 16" stack. Used a Paiste formula 602 for the bottom and my Istanbul Xist (with holes) and liked it a lot. I think the K custom dry might be a bit "heavy". Who knows until it's tried. You are indeed a Wild one Mr Buffalo.

iCe

The Deep Hats are essentially two trash/EFX crashes in a hi-hat or x-hat position. The K Custom Trash crashes only come in odd sizes, so picking the 17 or 19" might not work in the exact same way. Might want to go with another K EFX and try that out. Picking the A Custom version is an option too, but would give you a more brighter sound.

TK-421

I have a 16" K EFX crash stacked on top of an 18" A Custom EFX crash, and it sounds great! Though I tend to rotate them so the larger elongated holes don't line up, as that alters the sound slightly. It sounds somewhat like Dave Weckl's stack, which I believe is a 14" China on top of an 18" crash.