16x16 snare-side floor tom?

Drum Guy

looking for a good under $300 new or used (must be mint or excellent) 16 x 16 birch or birch/mahogany or anything but maple, to be used as left of snare side floor tom

My kit is DW performance maple 2018, great! with 16x14, 18x16 floor toms, but I'd like the side tom to be different. Any thoughts - Yamaha, Pearl , Tama, I don't mind...danke

Drum Guy

"how many toms do you even NEED? Lol"

FUN question! I'd like to be wrapped in a wall of low end boom actually!

In the 80"s I used to have 2x 16x16 and 18x18 on my TAMA Artstar acacia wood set - 2 on my right, 1 left of snare, kinda like Larry Mullen of U2 though I know he had Yamahas

Anyway I heard the pearl birch/mahogony in person recently, not bad, I do like its cutting yet warm feel - but never heard Yamaha stage or tour or Tama floors since the 80's (gettin back into drumming)...so was just curious for under $300 what's good out there, opinion-wise.

Yes I could spend $4-800 for a great one, but as its a side, not as often used one, looking to go less expensive

alparrott

Platinum Member
When I look at new floor toms under $300 on Reverb, I see Yamaha Stage Custom Birches for about $180 and Pearl Decade Maple for about $240. Sonor AQ2 is $290. But another interesting choice is Pearl Crystal Beat Acrylic for $290. can't get much different looking and sounding than that!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
When I look at new floor toms under $300 on Reverb, I see Yamaha Stage Custom Birches for about $180 and Pearl Decade Maple for about $240. Sonor AQ2 is $290. But another interesting choice is Pearl Crystal Beat Acrylic for $290. can't get much different looking and sounding than that!
Acrylic is definitely on the cutting/bright end of the spectrum, if that’s the sound he wants.

Drum Guy

that's the kind of info I need and thanks for it guys...never even heard of the Pearl acrylics ...I do favor the warm fuller feel of a great wood tom.

Anyone have Yamaha stage custom 16x16 FT? Its also hard to find NEW 16x16's in that under $300 bracket

alparrott

Platinum Member
that's the kind of info I need and thanks for it guys...never even heard of the Pearl acrylics ...I do favor the warm fuller feel of a great wood tom.

Anyone have Yamaha stage custom 16x16 FT? Its also hard to find NEW 16x16's in that under $300 bracket
All manner of Yamaha Stage Custom Birch under $200 on Reverb, brand new. They should be about the same price with anyone; most brand-new stuff on Reverb is from store sites.