16th Note Groove Song Ideas

oops

Silver Member
Hey guys,

Looking for some suggestions for fairly easy 16th note groove ideas, thinking similar to 'This Love' or 'Sunday Morning' (Maroon 5).

Those are both straight 8ths on the hats with syncopated 16th parts on the kick, the other option could be 16ths on hats as well!

Got a couple students who are ready for a new challenge but not suggesting hard enough songs for themselves.

MLdrum

ToTo - Georgy Porgy. If it's to fast for them to play the hihat-part with one hand, tell them to play it with alternating hands. I have done it on a gig where my right hand was just waaay to tired to make it swing with one hand one the hihat. And it's good training for accented bass drum doubles (y)

Jookbox

Pioneer Member
Might be too advanced because of the bass drum, but Boris Williams of the Cure had the best 16th note beats. Some examples: Fascination Street, Lullaby, Disintegration, Hot Hot Hot and Pictures of You. I learned all these songs in high school and they really helped my right foot coordination.

Large

Sunday Bloddy Sunday - U2
Who are you - The Who
In my time of dying - Led Zeppelin

Can't remember other songs U.U

Toolate

Platinum Member
Isnt there are great Allman brother song that has a nice slow beat with 16ths on the hats? WOuld be great for students.

Midnight rider?

oops

Silver Member
Could probably have specified a little more:

I need songs that KIDS can play along with. A couple of your suggestions are a little fast and obviously the parents won't want their kids playing along with songs with questionable lyrics (although I do love RHCP!).

Here's the list I've compiled so far, anything you guys could add would be appreciated!

This Love (Maroon 5)
Sunday Morning (Maroon 5)
Sweetest Thing (U2)
Love Foolosophy (Jamiroquai)
Amber (311)
Rock With You (Michael Jackson)
Le Freak (Chic)

Souljacker

Silver Member
Could probably have specified a little more:

I need songs that KIDS can play along with. A couple of your suggestions are a little fast and obviously the parents won't want their kids playing along with songs with questionable lyrics (although I do love RHCP!).

Here's the list I've compiled so far, anything you guys could add would be appreciated!

This Love (Maroon 5)
Sunday Morning (Maroon 5)
Sweetest Thing (U2)
Love Foolosophy (Jamiroquai)
Amber (311)
Rock With You (Michael Jackson)
Le Freak (Chic)
I was just going to mention Le Freak, Everybody Dance by Chic is another good one, i think it's a bit faster though.

Do It Again by Holy Ghost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzIOO065L4k This is a slow enough pace, would be really good for 16ths and learning them.

Take Me Over by Cut Copy.

oops

Silver Member
Cool, there's some great suggestions!

To reiterate for Midnite Zephyr:

It could be either grooves with eights on the hats and syncopated 16th parts on the other limbs (like Sunday Morning) or grooves with 16ths on the hats: either with one hand or both hands.