16" Ride? WTH?

SlitYourDrums

My guess is that you would use it on a jungle kit or cocktail kit.
I've seen hi hat bottoms used as rides in thst situation, so they probably made something for that purpose.

Winegums

Silver Member
16" is a bit small...

I like my 18" HHX xplosion crash for a low volume ride with more wash. I don't think anything smaller than that will get the sounds that you want from a ride.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
My guess is that you would use it on a jungle kit or cocktail kit.
I've seen hi hat bottoms used as rides in thst situation, so they probably made something for that purpose.
Yeah, I suppose it would work for a cocktail kit. Like you said, though, it would probably work best for the bottom high hat.

16" is a bit small...

I like my 18" HHX xplosion crash for a low volume ride with more wash. I don't think anything smaller than that will get the sounds that you want from a ride.
Exactly, 16" seems a bit too small for a ride. It might work as a secondary on the left side (for a righty).

porter

Platinum Member
There's no way that's a production model. If I had to guess, it might be a mislisted AAXplosion which shares the raw bell design.

However, a prototype 16" RBDR (which I suppose you could custom order from sabian) could be an interesting sound... in... some context....... theoretically?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It would have to be a thicker cymbal, like a bottom hi hat cymbal. Which makes an acceptable ride tone for certain things, and that's only 14. So if it was designed right, I'd say a 16 could pass as a ride. I'm thinking hip hop, but really you could put it anywhere.

Except on my kit, back off lol.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You guys are kidding, right? I can't even count the number of 16 rides or "crash rides" I've seen over the years. It's really not that unusual. 18's even more common.

Last week someone brought out their 16 2002 ride. A bit thin sounding for my taste, but he was proud.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Click the 'Specs' tab on that link and it says 21".

But ya - not too common nowadays, but I'm sure lots of people have used 16's as rides at some point.

Edit - missed it - it does have both 16 and 21.
I don't see any other stores selling it though.

Stroman

Platinum Member
On a side note, when did cymbals become so damned expensive?? I bought a Paragon Ride brand new when they were introduced. No sale price, no nothin', and it cost me $175. Today they sell for $369.

I wish my income had more than doubled in that time!

gdmoore28

Gold Member
On a side note, when did cymbals become so damned expensive?? I bought a Paragon Ride brand new when they were introduced. No sale price, no nothin', and it cost me $175. Today they sell for $369.

I wish my income had more than doubled in that time!
Agreed - while the price of common used cymbals seems to be decreasing steadily. A year ago the going rate for a Zildjian A 20" ride was about $125. Now it's common to see the same cymbals selling for less than $100. Same for New Beat hi hat pairs. I'm loving the used market - except when it's my time to sell!

GeeDeeEmm

I have '70's 16" Sabian Medium Ride (Canada) set up for ride with Ludwig set up with minimal drums (8x12 12x14 16x24 Tama Steel 6.5x14…Kick beater has 3 socks wrapped on it to muffle) and 16" sounds cool as ride in this set up…Kind of like the "party" kit when jam at my house...

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've got a Paiste 14" Rude Crash/Ride... not really good as either though.

Bermuda

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Zildjian/Sabian/Paiste used to have 16" rides in their catalog for years and years.

Granted, I've never seen one in person, but they were listed in the catalogs.

16" crash/rides are quite common.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Back in the day, there was no "ride", "crash" or whatever designation, you just played it, man. So there have been plenty of 16" rides throughout drumming history.

Having said that, I've played 18" rides and I have no idea why Steve Gadd prefers them. I think 20" is fine, 22" is swell, and 16" must be dog-whistle piercing.

sage32

I have a Dream Contact 18" ride that is a fantastic cymbal. It rides well (pingier than most crash/rides) and crashes explosively if you're looking for a powerful rock crash sound with longer sustain. I've also heard great things about the Dream Vintage Bliss crash/rides that work well as crashes or rides. They make a 17" crash/ride that I would much prefer over using a bottom hat as a ride on a small kit. Bottom hats just sound too clangy to me.

Oh and Dream cymbals are MUCH better priced than the big macro brands. I got my 18" Contact ride for $100 brand new at a drum shop that was going out of business and had everything massively marked down. Contact 18" rides currently on the market are going for $170 brand new. Can't beat that price for a brand new professional hand hammered cymbal.

chris J

I have a 17" K Zildjian Dark Crash which has excellent ride characteristics.
i.e. very articulate, has a nice ping, and you don't get a lot of build up when you ride on it.

But it is only 17" in diameter so it sounds way too light for me, LOL!
So, for me, it's not really a ride. Not enough meat on the bones.

I remember years ago I played a 16" K Custom Ride in a drum store. For me it was a big NO. Too scrawny.