16" kick drum heads with best low end punch

bob2loud

I'm purchasing a Pearl Midtown kit for small gigs with a rock and soul band. The stock heads are just OK but I want some more low- end punch. I'm thinking Aquarian SuperkickII batter with a ported Regulator reso. Thoughts? Alternate ideas?

The fullest sound from a 16" kick I've gotten has been with clear Ambassador or PS3 on the batter, and coated Ambassador or PS3 on the reso.
I think the heads you mentioned will be too dead for that small of a drum. It may sound well from behind the kit, but the low end will not project. If you always have it close micd, then you won't have a problem.

Think about black dots or silver dots. BTY, I have a bunch of new ones for $10 ea. plus shipping.

I'm purchasing a Pearl Midtown kit for small gigs with a rock and soul band. The stock heads are just OK but I want some more low- end punch. I'm thinking Aquarian SuperkickII batter with a ported Regulator reso. Thoughts? Alternate ideas?

IMO, SuperkickIIs kill even a 24" drum. I wouldn't use one on a 16.

I've heard good results from PS3s and Pinstripes, and I'd imagine an EMAD with the smaller or no foam ring would work, too.

Another note - let the reso ring! That's were a lot of the low tones come from in a small BD.

IMO, SuperkickIIs kill even a 24" drum. I wouldn't use one on a 16.

I've heard good results from PS3s and Pinstripes, and I'd imagine an EMAD with the smaller or no foam ring would work, too.

Another note - let the reso ring! That's were a lot of the low tones come from in a small BD.

+1, superkick is too much.

The Aquarian Force 1 is an overlooked but great drum head. Much better than a PS3.

+1, superkick is too much.

The Aquarian Force 1 is an overlooked but great drum head. Much better than a PS3.

I don't know that it is MUCH better than the PS3, lol, but the Force I is definitely my favorite of the Aquarian bass drum heads. It would be a good choice, I think.

I was going to say Evans now makes 16 inch bass drum heads so you don't need to use tom heads.

Don't use a kick head on a 16" drum. You'll choke the life out of it. A two ply for attack. Maybe a Pinsrtipe to tame it a bit with an Ambassador reso. You need to tune it as low as you can and run it wide open.

Back