16" floor tom trouble

Shogunrob13

Hey guys,
I bought a 2018 Gretsch usa custom kit, sizes 10,12,14,16 and 20..it sounds great.
I have reskinned the whole kit multiple times, every drum has responded great except for the 16 floor tom. I have tried remo ambassadors and emperors colourtones, evans g1 and g2s, and black chrome... none of which seat properly on the shell.. every skin has to be FORCED on and forget about getting wrinkles out, it aint happening.. it will sit on one side or the other unless i tune it way up high.. even getting skins off it is a task.. i know people have had this problem with older Gretsch but is anyone else in my boat? And has anyone a useful solution?
Cheers,
Rob.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Sounds like your bearing edge needs to be re-cut if the head isn’t sitting flat. Or is it also out-of-round?
If it’s out-of-round, you’re kinda stuck with it that way. There’s really not a way to fix that. But maybe re-cutting the edge might help. Get it to a drum shop and see what they can do.

WuHan Solo

every skin has to be FORCED on ............ it will sit on one side or the other

It sounds like the shell might be oversized a tad. Weird for something modern.
If that's the case, these could be an option for you:
https://remo.com/products/product/ambassador-coated-classic-fit/
https://www.aquariandrumheads.com/product/american-vintage-series

Are the drums wrapped? Check to see if the wrap is cut back enough to clear the flesh hoop. If not, that might be your problem.
It would be odd from the factory, but since they are used, it could have been a rewrap add-on drum not done correctly. Stranger things have happened.

harryconway

Platinum Member
i know people have had this problem with older Gretsch but is anyone else in my boat? And has anyone a useful solution?
Cheers,
Rob.
A 2018 Gretsch drum shouldn't have that problem, however. Even if it's wrapped. Also ..... is this a problem on both batter and reso. ends ???

Measure the drum diameter from a few different spots, and see if the shell is in round. I suspect it isn't, and that's the problem. Shame on the seller ..... he probably knew this was the case ...... and he didn't tell you.

Next step (for me) is I'd take it to a professional. Perhaps the shell can be trimmed down, bearing edges recut ..... whatever it takes.

I'd personally hate to be limited to Remo Classic Fit or Aquarian Vintage Series as the only head choice ..... and since you have 10, 12, & 14 inch drums that perform fine, you know there's something amiss with the 16" floor.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I would definitely check for roundness of the shell. Also, check to see how far back the wrap has been trimmed back (if it is a wrapped shell). This can have an impact as well.

Shogunrob13

Sorry for the delay in replying.. i checked roundness of shell and its absolutely perfect all round.. so i went at it again with a new head. Evans g2 .. the head goes on waaay easier than an emperor although its still tightish.. finger tight.. the head is sitting on the edge on one side of the drum but not the other.. even at a medium high tension the head is not 100% touching the edge all the way around.. at high tuning it has one dimple at the edge that causes a farting sound.. at very low tension i can get rid of these noises and has a lot of punch which is great but kinda dead

WuHan Solo

Sorry for the delay in replying.. i checked roundness of shell and its absolutely perfect all round.. so i went at it again with a new head. Evans g2 .. the head goes on waaay easier than an emperor although its still tightish.. finger tight.. the head is sitting on the edge on one side of the drum but not the other.. even at a medium high tension the head is not 100% touching the edge all the way around.. at high tuning it has one dimple at the edge that causes a farting sound.. at very low tension i can get rid of these noises and has a lot of punch which is great but kinda dead

What was the diameter when you measured for roundness? It still sounds oversized to me, as odd as that would be if that shell is indeed a USA Custom.

Shogunrob13

Its 100% a usa custom, it measures in at a fraction over 16 all way round. I cant remember the exact number now. But definitely over 16 and defo the exact same measurement all over

WuHan Solo

Its 100% a usa custom, it measures in at a fraction over 16 all way round. I cant remember the exact number now. But definitely over 16 and defo the exact same measurement all over

Just as I suspected. The shell should be under 16.

I don't know if the collar on a classic fit will even seat correctly on a shell that's over. But anything that doesn't seat isn't going to tune correctly.

Now the big question is why is it over?

Is the reso side oversized as well?

Last edited:

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
If bought brand new, I would have sent it back immediately. That said, you should not have to deal with forcing anything with respect to any modern musical instrument. I've used Remo Classic Fit heads on a vintage drum with excellent results. Check 'em out.
This.
Remo should solve your issue, but if not, a call to Gretsch might be in order. With their top-o-the-line kit, they're not about to let a flaw like that go & chase away customers.
Let us know what you do, yeah?

WuHan Solo

This.
Remo should solve your issue, but if not, a call to Gretsch might be in order. With their top-o-the-line kit, they're not about to let a flaw like that go & chase away customers.
Let us know what you do, yeah?
Unless it was NOS, I'm assuming it was purchased used:
I bought a 2018 Gretsch usa custom kit

So, did we ever determine if the wrap is what's making the shell oversized, or if the actual shell is oversized? It would be weird either way, but one of them has a solution.