$1500 to spend on drums

robr

I have an opportunity to pick up a late 80s vintage Sonor Signature bubinga kit from the original owner (5 pieces, no snare) for $1500. I am totally out of touch with what's been going on in the world of drums the past 25 years, but in the 80s, this was the kit to own if you had the means (I sure didn't). I am operating under the assumption that this is an absolutely killer deal, but wanted to see if perhaps other vendors eventually produced a comparable kit that I may want to shop around for. Thanks for the education :)

I don't agree with getting something else just because some other manufacturer may have come up with something better and/or cheaper. If those are the drums you want, and have always wanted, then that's what you should get.

Manufacturers will always come out with something better designed, maybe a bit prettier, and maybe a bit cheaper, but my dream-era of drumkits comes from the 1970s to around 1982. And I just recently re-built an older Ludwig natural maple kit that I always lusted after when I was a kid. I really liked the old Tama Granstars from the mid-80s too, and I got one of those. And they both sound great and do exactly what I want them to do. Sonor stuff from the 80s was built like a tank and that German engineering is kinda' hard to surpass, even for Sonor with their new stuff. I'd get the Sonors, maybe replace any parts that could be worn out (I doubt it) and play that kit 'til the cows come home.

I just hate seeing folks regret never getting the drums they lusted after when they couldn't afford them. It's just this empty feeling - even if you got a modern kit to fill that void.

Yes, that is a crazy good deal.
I used to own a Bubinga Signature kit; the only thing I didn't care for was that the toms were power toms / square toms (12x12, 13x13, 14x14, 18x20, 6.5x14 ferro manganese snare)...mine were also the 12 ply beech with bubinga veneer inside and out, gold plated badges, etc. A very well built and great sounding! The retail on the kit in 1985 was $7000.00 . I won the drums (it's a long story).
So yeah $1500 is great if they are in good shape and if you like the sizes. Do it!

Back