15" deep toms?

chaxmarkles

hey! I'm getting a new drum set in a 24/13/16/18 setup, the company said I can do either 16 or 15 deep on the last 2 toms, I know 16 seems to be the normal, but I just wanted to hear some thoughts on 15" deep? has anyone ever tried a 15X16 and 15X18? what would the differences in tone be compared to 16" deep?

I had a Premier Projector series kit that had a 15" deep x16"FT. It it was great. It had plenty of growl. (It was paired with a 16 deep x18 FT.) No real difference between that and a 16x16 FT, but I don't know about a 15x18..

Last edited:
The biggest reason is to get the reso head away from the floor.

The back pressure of the soundwave coming off the floor supposedly acts against the reso head vibrating and shortens the note.

And that's not geeky in any way :p

Andy feels the same way. He'd rather have a 16 x 14 than a 16 x 16. At least he used to.

I have a set with a 16 x 16 and an 18 x 16. The reso head is about 1 foot off the floor.

I have no problem with those drums having a short note, especially the 18. It's like Thor himself.

Get the depth you feel best about, bottom line.

I've been thinking through the issue of depth on floor toms for a 24/13/15/18 configuration. Karl Crafton make an interesting point on the topic of intervals with 15" diameter floor toms here on the forum. Karl's recommendation in his post is to go 13/16/18 but with a 16" X 14" floor tom and an 18" X 16". That set up gets my vote.

My DW 16” floor tom is only 15” deep. The difference in 1-inch depth seems pretty negligible though. It behaves like a 16x16 and doesn’t sound any different.

I use 15x14 and 18x14 floors.

They have a quicker response, and due to the mahogany deeper sounds over-all.

My rack toms are all 7” deep.

I want the same response from the rack toms so they have the same depth, this goes for the floors too.

Next time I'm over in Amsterdam, I'd love to get together and hear that kit in person.

I've often wondered about kits where multiple rack toms are all the same depth and how they sound/respond. I'm sure there's a kit closer to me here in NKY/Cincinnati, but going to Europe "just to hear some drums" sounds (no pun intended) like a better story.

1” depth difference on a floor tom will be barely perceptible if at all. I could make a technical argument for how it could theoretically matter, but it would be a stretch.

I second this.

Also, having heard two 16" floor toms, one 15" deep and another 16" deep, tuned the same w/ the same heads, I was barely able to hear the difference. I hate to admit perception of what to expect, having been programmed by drum company marketing, is wrong.

Next time I'm over in Amsterdam, I'd love to get together and hear that kit in person.

I've often wondered about kits where multiple rack toms are all the same depth and how they sound/respond. I'm sure there's a kit closer to me here in NKY/Cincinnati, but going to Europe "just to hear some drums" sounds (no pun intended) like a better story.

Also, having heard two 16" floor toms, one 15" deep and another 16" deep, tuned the same w/ the same heads, I was barely able to hear the difference. I hate to admit perception of what to expect, having been programmed by drum company marketing, is wrong.

Feel free to drop by when you are in town!

It makes for a better story indeed ?

A third rack tom (8”) in the same depth size has been ordered too recently.

I have a 16x15 Ludwig floor from the early 80s. 10 lugs too. Has that awful rivetted metal finish.

Back