15", 17", and 19" Crashes

The Scorpio

I'm not sure why but I've been gravitating toward odd size crashes. They just sound so great! Seems like regardless of the brand or series, I always find myself picking out the odd sizes over the more traditional 16", 18", and 20" crashes. Any one else a fan?

Kyle

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I use a 17 and a 19 on my gig kit. I like all sizes of crashes. I just happen to have ended up with 2 odd sized crashes. I didn't plan on that specifically.

paravil

There is something I like about a 17" crash. I find 16" crashes don't move enough air, but once you cross that 17" threshold something changes. It's not quite as "odd," but a 21" ride is the sweet spot for me--big enough to not wash out too easily, and small enough to be responsive as a crash.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I use 19" and 21" crashes now, didn't plan it, they just sounded the best in the shop.

Did use 18" and 20" Giant Beats for years and 17" and 19" 2002 Wild Crashes before that.

I think subconsciously I like the 2" separation in crash sizes.

I've used odd hat sizes for ages, played 13" k/z's for ages and now I'm on 15" K lights

Spaz

I have two 17's and two 19's and they are great cymbals.

But honestly I have 16s and 18s just as great.

I think it's the mind set of the norm is 16 18 20 etc

The Scorpio

There is something I like about a 17" crash. I find 16" crashes don't move enough air, but once you cross that 17" threshold something changes. It's not quite as "odd," but a 21" ride is the sweet spot for me--big enough to not wash out too easily, and small enough to be responsive as a crash.

I think you're spot on there with the 17' threshold. Now that I think about it I am also quite fond of a 21' sweet ride

Seafroggys

Silver Member
17" is the smallest I really like. I have a 16" Amedia and its pretty good but its not a very ballsy crash. I played on a 17" K Dark Crash in high school and I loved it.

Winegums

Silver Member
I find that I like my 16" AAX xplosion more than my 17" AAX xplosion for metal because it reacts better to faster playing.

I like my 17" for more relaxed tempos on the high hat because it feels comfortable there and fills up the changes with longer decay.

My 18" HHX xplosion has the volume and darkness I want when I really want to bring the dynamics of a part up yet not be cutting.

Each of my cymbals has it's own role in my kit which I searched for knowing I wanted that sound. I ended up with 16", 17" and 18" cymbals but I could have just as easily found a set of 16", 18" and 19" that worked as well. I don't think that size should weigh too heavily on your choice in crash cymbals. Follow your ears.

Superman

Gold Member
17" is my favorite crash. I just find it hard to find them used. I probably have ten 18" crashes and about ten 16" crashes but only three 17's. They don't come up often on CL. I too love a nice 21" ride. I have an old Zildjian that I got as a kid and even though I've added several more expensive ones since, it is still my favorite.

DaveCollingwood

I'm sure it's at least partly to do with conditioning - I love 17"s, 19"s and 21"s but there is something very appealing about odd numbers! I always put an odd number of rivets in cymbals too, somehow it just looks better to me!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Another vote for 21" rides. Great size.
I use 10, 17, 18, 19 inch crashes.

Actually the 19" Soultone is marked ride, but I use it mainly as a crash. Rides sustain longer than a crash of the same size, so it's my biggest baddest longest lasting crash.