14x6.5 Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare drum.

lsits

Gold Member
Just received my Guitar Center Memorial Day flyer and noticed that the 14 x 6.5 Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare is on sale for $100. I think that the regular price is $140. If I didn't already have a steel snare (Chad Smith 14 x 5) I'd take a serious look at this one.

Just received my Guitar Center Memorial Day flyer and noticed that the 14 x 6.5 Yamaha Stage Custom steel snare is on sale for $100. I think that the regular price is $140. If I didn't already have a steel snare (Chad Smith 14 x 5) I'd take a serious look at this one.

I've played that snare and I can't find anything bad to say about it.
10 lugs ,great fit and finish.

Interesting. Is this snare only available through Guitar Center? It's not even listed on the Yamaha website.

I haven't seen it available in that depth (6.5") before.

It's on sale for $99 again at Musician's Friend. They're out of stock but it looks like it can be back-ordered.

Someone please talk me out of this.

I'm in the market for a metal snare. I really really love the Supraphonic sound, but I don't have the money for even a used one right now.

Has anyone played these Stage Custom Steel snares?

On a related note, I just got my old Acrolite out of storage and I'm thinking about fixing it up. It needs a new strainer (the P85 is bent, shocker) and some new snare wires. I think I'll also get new 2.3mm hoops for it...it was always a lively drum and I want to tighten it up some.

Maybe the Acrolite will scratch the itch for a metal drum?

It's on sale for $99 again at Musician's Friend. They're out of stock but it looks like it can be back-ordered.

Someone please talk me out of this.

I'm in the market for a metal snare. I really really love the Supraphonic sound, but I don't have the money for even a used one right now.

Has anyone played these Stage Custom Steel snares?

On a related note, I just got my old Acrolite out of storage and I'm thinking about fixing it up. It needs a new strainer (the P85 is bent, shocker) and some new snare wires. I think I'll also get new 2.3mm hoops for it...it was always a lively drum and I want to tighten it up some.

Maybe the Acrolite will scratch the itch for a metal drum?

I've owned the 14x6.5 Stage Custom Steel (SSS1465) for a couple of months now and I just love it. Nice ringy sound, sensitive, and great build quality. 10 lugs plus the drum holds its tuning unbelievably well.

I would use this snare anywhere. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• ResizerImage1200X900_2.jpg
    ResizerImage1200X900_2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 294
  • ResizerImage1200X900.jpg
    ResizerImage1200X900.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
It's a fantastic snare, definitely has flown under the radar. There's many options as far as head and snare wire choice to get a myriad of tones out of this drum. For the money, you're hard pressed to find a better quality, sounding metal snare. I'd say pull the trigger!

It's one of my regular gigging snares. I don't recall the badge on mine being the colour of the one in that pic, though. I tend to just put it on the stand, see if it needs a tune here and there and play it.

Have just bought one of these recently to use as a "Gig Slut" when we have to fly. Changing the wires to Puresound though. £109 here in the UK.

Sounds more focused, crisper, more of a nice pop. I have it cranked up pretty high, so I couldn't vouch for a lower tuning. I've got Puresound wires on all my snares.

Me too. haven't had chance to try the drum out yet with them on.

Back