14"x26" Ludwig Legacy Classic bass drum - help w/ head/patch choice

i have my 14"x26" luddy legacy classic set up with a remo clear ps3 batter and a smooth white ambassador. the batter is just above wrinkle and the reso is a quater to half above that. it sounded great, was very pleased until i put on the evans black eq nylon patch. it made a huge difference. focused the sound and killed the boom. i hate it. never thought it would make that much difference.
question is, what to do. can i go without a patch. i never have, just dont know how the head will were with out it. would a moleskin patch work better?

ENRICO

Silver Member
tune it up!!! big bass drums sound better when tuned up, they sound dead when tuned low, no boom no preyection. and if you don't like the tone tone of any atch, just cut a piece from an old drum head and tape it, that's what I do

T

The Old Hyde

You really dont need a patch I use one so its a little hypocriticle but the bass beater wont go through the head that easily. you will dent the head ober time but thats about it.if you liked the soud without it, dont use it.

harryconway

Platinum Member
The Evans people say here ....... "Choose black or clear. The clear patch strengthens the head without affecting attack, sustain, or low-end. The black version softens attack slightly".​
I've never used the Evans ..... I used the Remo Falam .... when I needed to "extend" the life of a kick drum head. Those took none of the "boom" out of any of the drums I put them on. Nowdays, I don't use patches. I just replace the drum head.​

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I use a 3" x 4" piece of an old Coated Ambassador as a patch.

I just tape it on. The one pictured is a little smaller than the 3x4 I use now. It sounds more like "no patch" than any of the store bought patches. It's 10 mil, so you'll never go through it, and it's FREE.

I use 26" bass drums as well.

PA270124.jpg

thanks guys! i pulled the patch off and it sounds better. i cant believe it makes that much difference. prolly try Karls idea next.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I've never used the Evans ..... I used the Remo Falam .... when I needed to "extend" the life of a kick drum head. Those took none of the "boom" out of any of the drums I put them on.[/INDENT]

Same here, and I was also worried the first time I used one. The falam patch works GREAT for me and keeps the head good for years. I use one on my clear PS3, on my Classic Maple 24" kick. Sounds like butta.