14 inch deep bass drum

Perry

Hi!

I have a 24/14 sakae bass drum 3 ply.
Im having bog troubles With the sound, its to much attack and to "clicky". Kind of Lars ulrich sound if you know what i mean... using a powerstroke 3 coated for batter and have tried som different frontheads but nothing works. Is it just The way 14 inch deep sounds or has anyone got a clue how to get a deep, round nice sining tone from The drum?

opentune

Platinum Member
You hear clicky sounds in recording, from a mic out front? ....or are you referring to the sound from the throne? Can be very different.
I'd suggest a full single ply reso out front (unported and no packing in drum) for the fullest and lowest tone. There is less boom in a 14 vs 16 or 18 deep drum.

porter

Platinum Member
You probably do want a full front head, or at least one with a very small port. The Evans EQ1 might be a good head to check out, it has a bunch of small holes around the head instead of one big one.

Try also tuning both heads up a bit, using a larger & softer beater, and less muffling.

You could also try a head with no built-in muffling ring (the Powerstroke 3 does have one, obviously) and muffle it yourself how you like.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Forgive me because I don't know if you already do this, but I'd say to rebound the beater off the head on every stroke to get the most round tone from the bass drum. Burying the beater chokes off the slower vibrating bass frequencies before they have a chance to develop.

Perry

Thank you for replys, lots of good advices. I've just bought that eq1 head and gonna try that combined with a coated ambassador as a beater head. And yeah, it's in front the drum sounds bad not on the throne. Specially when miced. It's sounds better when played with rebound technique but still there's a big bang. Well now I know how to spend this Saturday :) thanks again!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Tune higher than you'd think reasonable, especially the resonant head. 3 ply shells respond to higher excitement compared to more standard ply layups. Are you muffling the drum in any way?

14" depth is plenty to get rich low end frequencies, it's projecting that tone rather than just head slap that's the key to a good drum well tuned.

As for mic'd sound, back the mic off the resonant head. Lower frequencies require more distance to resolve. If you're then lacking a bit of head slap, put a second mic on the batter head.

Perry

Ok goda try to tune it higher, right now it's pretty loose tuned. Yeah I'm using a feelt-strip on the reso -head right now. Aha I see, when soundenginers put a mic they always place it almost inside the hole, gonna tell them to keep some distance :) this forum is great, now I got some things to work with and gonna start right away!