14" FT in the rack tom position of a 4-piece

roncadillac

Figured I'd start a new thread based on rebonn's post, rather than hijacking the other one... Anyone else use a 14" FT in the rack tom position of a 4-piece? I've considered it.
I don't (I run a 3pc) BUT one of my favorite drummers of all time does! Little known gent by the name of Gabe Serbian, sticks for The Locust and Head Wound City:

gs_photo.jpg
serbian_gabe_kit.jpg
images.jpeg

His 'rack tom' is where my hi hat is positioned lol.

Another one of my favorites ever, Mr Ginger Fish of Manson fame, used a setup with a huge remote bass drum off to the side then large hanging floortoms as his rack toms during their Golden Age Of Grotesque tour (went to two shows, putting aside the stigma about Manson... He and his band are fantastic and put on a hell of a show)

Last edited:

EricT43

I've thought about it too. Remove the legs and put it on a snare stand. Haven't tried it yet, though.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I tried it once with a 16 for about a minute. I couldn't find a very useful, close position for it so back to the side it went.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Not completely your positioning but I did use the 14 as a rack tom : 12 13 14 racks up front and a 16x16.
A bit big, and tuning wise, it took me long to make it sound like I would've liked.

roncadillac

Why remove the legs?
My thoughts exactly. Same thing as how I want a floortom snare/snom/tare/tenor snare (whatever you want to call it) to use as a main snare tuned high on it's own legs. If I ever buy a "second kit for fun" I would get one of those tama superstar hyperdrive shell packs that comes with one of those snaretoms and run 3pc of 14" snom, 16" ftom, and 20" kick.

drumnut87

i dont specifcially use a floor tom, but my main kits 2nd tom is a 14x10, which i find pretty comfy to use :)

Road Bull

Silver Member
Ask Dale. If he can do it with a 16" floor tom, I don't see why you couldn't get a little 14" floor tom up there.Dale pre -1_jpg.jpg

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Are we moving in that direction again? I guess all those guys saddled with square power toms from the '80s will rejoice to hear that those huge, flabby tubs are coming back around. The more things change . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

1580077901197.png

rebonn

Figured I'd start a new thread based on rebonn's post, rather than hijacking the other one... Anyone else use a 14" FT in the rack tom position of a 4-piece? I've considered it.
Mine's actually a 16 and 18 FT.
Just played this weekend and it sounded great.
pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpg