14” floor tom on snare stand

SomeBadDrummer

Someone on here I think @CommanderRoss recently posted a shot with a marching snare drum mounted on a traditional kit snare stand. Which led me to locate a matching TAMA stand, allowing me to raise up my 14” floor tom to the perfect height and angle for my kit. Now upon receipt of the 16” floor tom the set will be complete (except for a couple of new cymbals and double bass pedal haha).
B2B5E414-1A34-4489-B8B3-4ED8CD8BFDB8.jpegC5C33747-B29D-4AF5-AF4C-E70252ADF0F1.jpeg

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That looks awkward to me. The hihats are almost behind you, and didnt the 14 floor come with legs?? The angle between the 14 and 16 floor seems way out of place.

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

That's a sweet setup! I do giggle at the notion that your kit will be complete upon receiving the 16" floor tom.

"No drum kit is ever complete." - Albert Einstein

Unless you're @C.M. Jones maybe...
Haha I agree that no kit is ever actually “complete” even with 14” & 16” floor toms. I actually found a NOS 16” tom that is a perfect match for my 2010 era kit... and since I didn’t have a 16” floor tom I couldn’t resist..

SomeBadDrummer

My stepdad the drummer agrees with you about my setup... but it’s totally awesome for me. I play much closer and faster than in my previous life as a (primarily) rock drummer. Love jazz and fusion so letting my creative juices flow. But I understand that not everyone will be on board with my setup although I have found moving stuff around works great for disturbing the normal routine.

SomeBadDrummer

And no the 14” floor Tom was a hanging tom which I wanted to raise and first bought leg mounts and then legs... but the standard 20” legs are too short for this tom at least for my preference, so I ditched the legs for the stand with zero regrets. It’s actually a very stable and sturdy vintage TAMA snare stand.

IBitePrettyHard

Haha I agree that no kit is ever actually “complete” even with 14” & 16” floor toms. I actually found a NOS 16” tom that is a perfect match for my 2010 era kit... and since I didn’t have a 16” floor tom I couldn’t resist..
I've always preferred a 16" over a 14" floor tom. (well at least until I got my Renown 14", it's unreal). Gotta have that low end!

Bozozoid

Every.....(Every) 14" floor I've ever played 11x14 PDP..12x14 premier signia..both hanging blew my 16 away. They made me want to stay away from the 16 all together.

SomeBadDrummer

I did the same thing. My 14 is rack mounted so I threw it on a crappy snare stand until i can drill it for proper legs.
My 14” tom came with one leg mount and a stand although it already had the holes for the other two mounts which I found online and installed no problem. But without 24-28” legs (not sure that any legs over 24” even exist) it’s simply too low, so the snare stand is the perfect solution.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
My 14” tom came with one leg mount and a stand although it already had the holes for the other two mounts which I found online and installed no problem. But without 24-28” legs (not sure that any legs over 24” even exist) it’s simply too low, so the snare stand is the perfect solution.
I replaced the legs on my Starclassic Maple with Dunnett legs. They are 26” and very snazzy, which is important.

cbphoto

Gold Member
ah, a Yousuf Karsh portrait. He was one of my heroes. For his Winston Churchill portrait, once Churchill was positioned, Karsh snatched the cigar from Churchill and immediately snapped the shot (old school: using an 8x10 camera and hot lights). The result was another excellent portrait made from a single shot (In my realm they call this “Big Balls”).

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Okay now you’re gonna have to post a photo..
3AE6696D-770D-41BF-80EA-458ECBBFF2BF.jpeg
I am not near it at the moment, but here is the kit. I don’t think they are on the ft in this pic.

These are the legs. They were the only type to go high enough for me on this 14x12. I’m tall with a long torso, so I needed the extra height.

B6F04C1A-5B18-4A75-9C85-53AF9019EFF0.jpeg

SomeBadDrummer

View attachment 99626
I am not near it at the moment, but here is the kit. I don’t think they are on the ft in this pic.

These are the legs. They were the only type to go high enough for me on this 14x12. I’m tall with a long torso, so I needed the extra height.

View attachment 99627
Very sleek, I get the point. You have some great legs there.