13x7 Snare Drum

wraub

Have one (or more)? I recently picked one up, very pleased with the "pop" and the presence it has. However, it also has heads that need replacing, possibly wires too.

Any suggestions for heads and such? Tuning? Any other tips?

graysonator

I have a Pork Pie Patina Brass in that size, right now i'm running an Aquarian Texture Coated Single Ply on it (Similar to a Coated Ambassador), being a brass snare, it's pretty loud and aggressive so it works best medium-high.

What shell material is yours made of?

wraub

Mine is birch with an ash veneer.

I have a Pork Pie Patina Brass in that size, right now i'm running an Aquarian Texture Coated Single Ply on it (Similar to a Coated Ambassador), being a brass snare, it's pretty loud and aggressive so it works best medium-high.

What shell material is yours made of?

Sakae2xBopster

I'm always surprised at how much of a difference there is between my 12s and my 14s. Have never tried a 13.
FWIW I use G1's on my 12s.

bongoman

I’ve always used the same types of heads and wires on my 13s as on my 14s. The one exception is my favorite set of wires for a 13 happens to be 30 strand, where normally I prefer 18 or 20.

I do tend to tune a 13 higher, which seems obvious, but I mean like ska punk higher. It just works. I’ve tried tuning them in more medium and low ranges, and it’s okay, but inevitably I just prefer to put a 14 on the stand for that.

I’ve owned 13s in a wide range of materials, thickness, etc. and felt the same about all of them.

wraub

Any suggestions for wires? I was thinking more would be better with this drum, but I'm uncertain. It has a 20 strand set on it now, pretty sure they're the stock ones.

wraub

I watched some videos and did some reading re: snare wire types and counts, snare beds, rim types and weights, and more, and then approached this drum anew.
It's really interesting to me how many variables, some quite small, go into the sound(s) of a snare drum, and how altering one can affect everything else.
I have so much to learn. :)

The batter on the drum now is a coated G2, which sounds good to me after a bit of work, so will probably replace with that.

wraub

Replaced the worn G2 head with a new one, and this is a really good sounding drum that is astonishingly loud.

I think I like it. :D

wraub

I have already been asked twice today why the drums are so much louder. :D

Replaced the worn G2 head with a new one, and this is a really good sounding drum that is astonishingly loud.

I think I like it. :D

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Glad you found a head that works. I'm really amazed at the amount of "pop" I hear from a 13 x 7 as opposed to a 14 x 5 (or deeper). That one inch makes a lot of difference in terms of pitch.