13'' K Custom Dark hi hats or 13''K Hi hats

Hello everyone;
After a long time, I want to get drum kit again. I like minimal drum sets now. Firstly, I want to buy hi hat and ride cymbals. I like the Zildjian K series. However, I cannot decide between two hi-hats. I like 13'' hihats, I need decide between 13'' K hi hats and 13 ''K Custom Dark hi hats. I will choose ride cymbals which one I can use the as a crash ride. So probably my ride cymbal will be 20''K custom dark ride or 21''K sweet ride. I will use only two cymbals for a while. And then If I want add crashes in the future, it will be K dark thin crashes. ı really love them. Has anyone been able to try these two hihats? What are your ideas about these two cymbals? Which of these cymbals has more volume/projection than the other? I will usually play rock. And I love dark cymbals. However, I am afraid that hihat will remain very quiet. Thank you!

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
The K's will be a little louder than the Darks, but neither will be as loud as 14's.
Of course, the Darks will have a darker sound. For general use, I'd say the regular K's are a better bet.
But if you plan to use a dark ride and crashes, the Darks would blend well with them.

yammyfan

I've never tried Zildjian K hi-hats smaller than 14" but the 'regular' K hi-hats are very good. The 21" K Sweet Ride is very crashable and an excellent all-purpose ride cymbal.

C.M. Jones

It depends on how we measure "loud." Owing to their higher pitch, 13" hats can have plenty of cut. As hats get bigger, they become warmer and washier. Larger hats might take on a meatier, broader character but can actually be mellower than smaller hats in some ways. I'm playing 15" Zildjian A Avedis hats right now, and they're the most reserved pair I've ever owned.

I'm writing in relative terms. The exact profiles of hats will determine their specific attributes. All assumptions are risky when it comes to cymbals.

TK-421

I haven’t played the 13” versions of either, but I have played 14” versions of both. In fact I own a pair of 14” K hats. I find they offer a lot of clarity and cut without being harsh, while the 14” K Custom Dark hats had a much mellower sound that I didn’t particularly care for. I imagine the same can be said for the 13” versions as well. As for ride cymbals, I prefer the 21” K Sweet, if that helps.

Kuromaku

I have K Custom Dark hats (14") and a K Custom Dark ride (20"). Both are the best I've ever had in their categories. I used to play pretty cheap Paistes and pretty expensive Sabians. The hats are crisp and well defined, but can also get loud and dirty (in a good way). The ride is superb.

I wanted to say what others are referring to - get 14" hats. I used to play 13s and loved the tight and clean sound, but I came to realize that they were a bit limiting and even had somewhat of a "gimmicky" sound - that's not exactly the word I'm looking for, but you know, like getting a 6" splash instead of a 10"...

Perhaps your gear budget is a factor here, but I think the marginal extra cost of 14s will give you a lot more of an instrument to work with. And I'm talking in a smaller context - I'm building out my kit a little bit now, but this preference for the 14s was with a jazz/bop 4 piece kit.

mikyok

Platinum Member
The loudest hats I have are 13" k/zs! I play 15" hats as standard. 13s are good for funk and disco where you need crisp articulation.....also the police ;)

My go to hats are 15" K lights, beautiful cymbals. Don't rule out larger sizes.

C.M. Jones

The loudest hats I have are 13" k/zs! I play 15" hats as standard. 13s are good for funk and disco where you need crisp articulation.....also the police ;)

My go to hats are 15" K lights, beautiful cymbals. Don't rule out larger sizes.
Dead on with my experience over the years. Small hats cut; large ones blend. I'm speaking generally, of course. Exceptions abound in all things drumming.

I'm playing 15"s now too (Zildjian A Avedis) and loving them. They've got a mellow bark and a gentle bite. Your 15" K Lights are really nice as well.

wildbill

Platinum Member
It's been my experience that weight plays a larger part in determining volume than diameter does when it comes to hi hats (within reason, of course).

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'm playing 15"s now too (Zildjian A Avedis) and loving them. They've got a mellow bark and a gentle bite. Your 15" K Lights are really nice as well.
Cheers man! The A Avedis line wasn't a thing when I got the k lights (unless trawling old As counts!) They won over some 15"New Beats. They're like yours, mellow and warm and they always sit nicely with the rest of the kit at any volume.

I have my 70s Mick Tucker hats too which shouldn't work but do, dark soundedges 15" A Rock Top/602 Soundedge Bottom

C.M. Jones

It's been my experience that weight plays a larger part in determining volume than diameter does when it comes to hi hats (within reason, of course).
Weight is a significant spec but is usually relative to diameter. If you have two medium-weight cymbals, the larger diameter will probably be in a lower tonal category (i.e., have a warmer sound). Of course, other elements (hammering, lathing, and finish) will determine the final outcome as well.

wildbill

Platinum Member
If you read my post again, you'll see that I was referring to volume, rather than pitch.

With equal diameter hats, the heavier ones will generally be louder.

s1212z

The loudest hats I have are 13" k/zs
I had a pair 13" K/Z about 10 years ago that sounded great but were unfortunately stolen among other things. To my surprise, I've recently spotted the very same K/Z pair come to market (at least I'm 90% sure they are the same)! They were a lot of fun play. I have no way of proving I'm the original owner though and have no intent on buying them again though it's tempting.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I had a pair 13" K/Z about 10 years ago that sounded great but were unfortunately stolen among other things. To my surprise, I've recently spotted the very same K/Z pair come to market (at least I'm 90% sure they are the same)! They were a lot of fun play. I have no way of proving I'm the original owner though and have no intent on buying them again though it's tempting.
That sucks man, I had my cymbals stolen once but by a miracle I got em back.

You don't need to close mic em......ever!