13” brass snare thoughts: Gretsch 6 lug?

LittleLegs

I’ve a lovely Canopus Maple 13” and want to get a 13” brass to contrast.

I saw a Gretsch 13” with only 6 lugs and wondered whether anyone had tried it. It has die-cast hoops so tuning should be stable and I like a spongier feel. I’m not tuning super high so tension shouldn’t be a problem. I do like a lively drum so wondered if fewer lugs would make for a more open sound (although that could be offset by the die-cast hoops?) Thoughts? Thanks!

Neal Pert

For a 13" Brass, take a look at the Recording Custom. Great drum. I think you'd be fine with a 6 lug 13" snare but I'd kinda want to hear the play any of them in person. Do you have a chance to?

harryconway

Platinum Member
I saw a Gretsch 13” with only 6 lugs and wondered whether anyone had tried it. It has die-cast hoops so tuning should be stable and I like a spongier feel. I’m not tuning super high so tension shouldn’t be a problem. I do like a lively drum so wondered if fewer lugs would make for a more open sound (although that could be offset by the die-cast hoops?) Thoughts? Thanks!
Can you post a link. Only Gretsch brass 13's I've seen are 8 luggers.

Ghostin one

I have one, it's the G4168HB. I got it used, and the batter hoop was a little warped, so I replaced it with the first good deal I saw on a six lug rim, which happened to be the 302.

The non-hammered 4168 is still available a few places.

gretsch4168hb.jpg

Last edited:

pgm554

Platinum Member
Gretsch brass snares tend to be a bit dry.
So if you're looking for them musical overtones ,you may want to play it first.

RickP

Gold Member
When I think 13” brass snare the Sonor Benny Greb signature is the first and only option for me. It is a truly outstanding snare and is very versatile , unlike many 13” snares it works well as a main snare . Many 13” snares sound thin and one dimensional. The Sonor is exceptional and well worth the price .

Dutch

1642658896335.jpeg See if you can find one the these discontinued Yamaha Nouveau snares in 13” x 6.5”, I think they’re great and not that expensive.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
The only 13" (brass) shell snaredrums I've owned were the Ahead 6x13 black on brass.and.the Pearl 5.5x13 brass..sold them quickly. Die cast on a 13?..man..gotta hear it first but less lugs sounds cool to me. Open that tuna can up!. I've also recently ordered a 5.5x13 3mm DW aluminum drum that frikkin rocks. Not for a 13...for any snaredrum PERIOD.