12 year old playing Travis Barker

Start practicing with a metronome, you rushed and slowed down several times in that song. Also, you might want to work on dynamics. There was no shift in feel or volume level, which to be honest, made it quite boring. Nice drum set though...

keep working at it, you're pretty good for a twelve-year old! If you keep at it, you'll definitely be grateful you were playing this young.

thanks for the positive (NOT) feedback for a 12 year old .... appreciate all the compliments on the "drum set" - not surprised that your positive focus was material oriented and everything else as negative .... love it when you say "to be honest" .... usually means you lacking honesty during your surrounding discussion ...... when you decide to coach, you should try to use "inspiring" words, especially for 12 year olds ......in place of this 12 year old amateur tape, i'm sure you can post your adult version of these covers and make it not so "boring" with your adult talents - make certain you have your pretty metronome on your side .... please send me a copy .... keep up the drumming .....but really, avoid coaching because you lack inspiration PEACE

thanks for the positive (NOT) feedback for a 12 year old .... appreciate all the compliments on the "drum set" - not surprised that your positive focus was material oriented and everything else as negative .... love it when you say "to be honest" .... usually means you lacking honesty during your surrounding discussion ...... when you decide to coach, you should try to use "inspiring" words, especially for 12 year olds ......in place of this 12 year old amateur tape, i'm sure you can post your adult version of these covers and make it not so "boring" with your adult talents - make certain you have your pretty metronome on your side .... please send me a copy .... keep up the drumming .....but really, avoid coaching because you lack inspiration PEACE

You asked for advice! Take it or leave it...

wow...butthurt much? You come in with a video of a kid playing like a drummer many find unpalatable, invite commentary and then lash out when the video is criticized.

Give it a few years and I think you can come back. For now, it'd be better if you left.

If you can't take constructive criticism, wait until you start working or go to University. Crash and burn. Stop playing the age card - simply put, we don't care if you're twelve or a hundred and twelve.

Liked it, but you should take on board what other people have said. They're just general tips for practise and weren't aiming to offend you.

Tom

Keep playing... Work with a metronome.... Nice setup/placement, maybe think about lowering those crashes above your toms. Reach can make a huge difference. Nice movement around the kit overall.

Gotta take the good with the bad, otherwise....

Attachments

• 3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg
    3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 12,831
I would agree to take the advice from these boards as positive feedback. This is an amazing forum with many many wonderful drummers.

Very good playing. I actually didn't discover drums until I was 21 so you have a great head start. Some of the things to work on (no offense to you or your drumming), is consistent timing, dynamics and learning when to fill and when not to fill. If you go to the Drum Technique forum here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 they will give you a wealth of info on these topics.

Nice playing and thanks for dropping by but watch the attitude on these boards. This is a free drumming community that we like to keep clean and open to all drummers.

EDIT: I also agree with moving your cymbals closer to you. You're seriously reaching to hit those! Bring em in...it'll make you faster! ;-)

Dude nice job...

Good points: You have what it takes to play the set. Your posture is good. You seem to be in the right headspace, and you seem to get the concept of not showing off and playing to make the song sound good. You work the sticks nice, and you seem serious about it. Like I said you have what it takes, it just needs to be developed

Suggestions: Nothing alarmingly wrong, there's always room to improve, and I think you'll make a fine drummer, just keep at it. However, a little bit of respect shown to people who took the time to watch your video, that would have been nice. Welcome to Drummerworld. You'll find that this place is filled with well meaning people, and you could certainly benefit from all the shared knowledge here, just remember to respect others opinions and try not to take things personally. Your playing was critiqued, not your person. Good job on the video, I wish I was that good at 12.

That whole young drummer thing ran its course here a couple years ago. I remember a new thread going up every other day of a new, hot "young-drummer" there were a few 4 year old shredders on there as well. I can't remember the specifics of any of those threads, but I think the overall responses ranged from "Wow!" all the way to "Oh..."

Although, I did just discover this video while looking for something in teen-taal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHd8McuIDZc

That's pretty impressive for 12... But not necessarily rare, or anything like Travis Barker.

Lots of young cats on this planet of 8 billion... But only one DW forum :)

bawwww.jpg

That whole young drummer thing ran its course here a couple years ago. I remember a new thread going up every other day of a new, hot "young-drummer" there were a few 4 year old shredders on there as well. I can't remember the specifics of any of those threads, but I think the overall responses ranged from "Wow!" all the way to "Oh..."

Although, I did just discover this video while looking for something in teen-taal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHd8McuIDZc

That's pretty impressive for 12... But not necessarily rare, or anything like Travis Barker.

Lots of young cats on this planet of 8 billion... But only one DW forum :)

And plenty of those guys are in the "Where are they now?" file. It's tough to keep your ego in check when your young and people fawn over your ability. Listen to the guys here, they know what they are talking about more than your friends and family do trust me. Take critisizm as a guide to improve those areas. Keep it up and good luck, I mean it!

Only two posts so you're forgiven your petulant ways!

One thing I find difficult to do is to use my left foot to keep time. I've been trying for a while. I noticed you don't either. You might like to think about whether this would help you to keep your playing steady especially during and after fills.

PEACE to you too!

Well I enjoyed it, in fact more than older drummers I see sometimes on youtube. Keep up the good work, you're going to be amazing at 20 if you keep up the practice.

Inspiration is a lot different than flattery. As I said, you have things to work on. Everyone does. If you ask for people to give their opinion about your playing, that's what people will do. Now if I had ACTUALLY lacked inspiration, I would have said something like, "Nice. Keep playing," instead of writing a response with actual advice I've learned from personal experience and multiple failures.

Don't know if you're ever coming back to this thread... but I would never post something to just bash some kid's drumming needlessly. All I can say is that I hope you take constructive criticism with eagerness, and never get to a place where your confidence oversteps your actual ability. Trust me, I've been there many, many times and it always leads to an embarrassing and humbling experience. Pride comes before a fall.

Back