12" sub enough anyone?

braincramp

Gold Member
I just got a steal on a 12" dual coil powered sub. It's a Crate which I'm not sure but think it's a middle of the road brand that is 250w. Plenty enough for small bars I play. Just looking for some bass drum beef. Think this will be enough? Or is it too small being 12"?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
For small venues it will probably be OK. It will supplement the sound that you drum makes so your bass drum will have some added boom that will be noticeable.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I agree. 12" @ 250w should be audible. Do not expect miracles. It's certainly a good way to add a little beef to an otherwise acoustic setup.

Peace, love, and goodwill.

braincramp

Gold Member
For small venues it will probably be OK. It will supplement the sound that you drum makes so your bass drum will have some added boom that will be noticeable.
Thats all I'm really looking for, don't expect to get chest feeling thumps from bassdrum, just a noticable amount more than through my keyboard amp (which has a 15" speaker) or our PA which is not outfitted with subs. I wish I could get the sound reproduced for the room I play in that comes out of my HQ headphones. I often wondered why it sounds so much better/

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It's likely to make a modest contribution, but unless a 12" sub is high end / very powerful / long throw, it can't possibly cope with delivering the lower frequencies. Essentially, you're asking a low powered 12" speaker to reproduce a 20" or 22" speaker (your bass drum), so go easy on it :)

T

The SunDog

It's likely to make a modest contribution, but unless a 12" sub is high end / very powerful / long throw, it can't possibly cope with delivering the lower frequencies. Essentially, you're asking a low powered 12" speaker to reproduce a 20" or 22" speaker (your bass drum), so go easy on it :)
Exactly right. I can tell you from personal experience with powered subs. Anything less than 15" and around 500w continuous is not going to do anything except take up space on the stage. Please, do not shoot the messenger. The built in crossover will only let the sub react to low frequencies, somewhere in the 35-100hz range, but the 12" speaker will simply not move enough air to be effective for live sound reinforcement. The other problem you're going to experience is how wattage is rated differently from guitar amplifiers to power amps. A one hundred watt guitar amp can easily compete with several thousand watts of PA power. In that respect a 250w sub is woefully underpowered.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
I'm a little confused here...not so much by the OP, but by the first two responses. This is the Electronic Drums sub-forum, after all. Are we talking about amplifying an e-kit? That Crate 12 ain't gonna cut it, unless all you are playing is a coffeehouse with a few acoustic guitars.

IMO, Crate is not mid-level, it's low-level. KIS and SunDog have it right. A good 12' driver may produce the bass freqs in some cases, but I doubt the Crate will. Also, how is the 250W rating determined, i.e. do the specs say 100W continuous/250W peak? That would mean it is even more inadequate. If you were referring to reinforcing an acoustic bass drum, I find it hard to imagine this thing adding anything to a properly tuned bass drum (20 inch or larger).

What is your keyboard amp? The Roland KC-550 (15" Keyboard amp) actually does a respectable job with edrums.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm a little confused here...not so much by the OP, but by the first two responses. This is the Electronic Drums sub-forum, after all. Are we talking about amplifying an e-kit? That Crate 12 ain't gonna cut it, unless all you are playing is a coffeehouse with a few acoustic guitars.
I had thought he was adding the sub to his existing setup, and not that it was going to be used standalone. As in: He has an amp, and he's adding a super-cheap 250w/12" sub to it to give it a touch more low end.

Defender

Silver Member
I disagree with this comment.. If you look at what most venues use, they are using anywhere between 10 and 15 woofers.. and a 12 inch woofer in my opinion is just the right amount of punch without being to overbearing..

12 is fine.. Leave the goofy 15 inch woofers to the punks and their rap music and their completely over-saturated bass.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree with this comment.. If you look at what most venues use, they are using anywhere between 10 and 15 woofers.. and a 12 inch woofer in my opinion is just the right amount of punch without being to overbearing..

12 is fine.. Leave the goofy 15 inch woofers to the punks and their rap music and their completely over-saturated bass.
I gave a very simple reply, whereas the subject of low frequency reproduction is actually fairly complexed. One thing that isn't complex however is moving air. The lower the frequency you want to be audibly present, the more air you need to move. A 12" speaker can do that, but to do it effectively it needs to be of suitably high quality, & constructed specifically for the task. In order for the resultant sound to be clean, it needs lots of power headroom, both in the speaker capacity & crucially, amplification capacity.

I agree that a 12" speaker (or multiples thereof) can offer a faster response & correspondingly cleaner delivery (all things being equal, & subject to cabinet arrangement, etc), but it does all hinge on quality & headroom.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I didn't mention earlier that I have experience with a 12" sub of similar wattage and I can truly state that it will only slightly enhance the bass drum. You will detect some boost to the lower spectrum of the sound but it won't be chest thumping powerful.
You will hear the low notes but you won't feel the air moving. The bass drum will make a punch and the sub will enhance the lows without high power.