12" splashes into hihats?

blastbeatkeeper

Hello, everyone. I have this old Sabian Pro(NOT B8 Pro) 12" splash laying around, in decent condition. A few stick marks, but no cracks or anyhting. Ive been toying with the idea of making a set of x-hats out of it, but I cant decide on what to get for a top hat? What do you guys think would go good with that? I know the Pro line is way discontinued, but this "splash" is quite heavy, and loud. Too loud to be a splash. I have been eyeing a Zildjian A 12" splash used at my local GC. I know the light top/heavy bottoms work out well, and I like the Z/K combo hats that Ive played. Does anyone else have a good idea of what would be a good match? Thanks in advance.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
My advice is take your cymbal to the music store and try as many combinations as possible and trust your ears.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hello, everyone. I have this old Sabian Pro(NOT B8 Pro) 12" splash laying around, in decent condition. A few stick marks, but no cracks or anyhting. Ive been toying with the idea of making a set of x-hats out of it, but I cant decide on what to get for a top hat? What do you guys think would go good with that? I know the Pro line is way discontinued, but this "splash" is quite heavy, and loud. Too loud to be a splash. I have been eyeing a Zildjian A 12" splash used at my local GC. I know the light top/heavy bottoms work out well, and I like the Z/K combo hats that Ive played. Does anyone else have a good idea of what would be a good match? Thanks in advance.
You're right that a heavier bottom cymbal is a good idea. The difference in splashes is sometimes not very much, and making hats out of 12" splashes can get you a kind of dark, trashy-sounding hat. But try it. I did it for a few years as an x-hat and liked it fine.

Take your splash with you and try it with the splashes you're looking at. GC *should* be okay with letting you try it on a hi-hat stand.