12 famous drummers - help!

LucyB

Hi

We have a Christmas competition and need to display 12 drummers drumming. We need suggestions for 12 drummers to display that people will recognise as famous drummers i.e. Ringo Star, Dave Grohl, Animal from the Muppets.

Any suggestions welcome, but remember - more famous & recognisable the better, this is not necessarily for the top 12 drummers of all time (although some might cross over!)

Thanks!!

Lucy

aaajn

Silver Member
Hi

We have a Christmas competition and need to display 12 drummers drumming. We need suggestions for 12 drummers to display that people will recognise as famous drummers i.e. Ringo Star, Dave Grohl, Animal from the Muppets.

Any suggestions welcome, but remember - more famous & recognisable the better, this is not necessarily for the top 12 drummers of all time (although some might cross over!)

Thanks!!

Lucy
the Little Drummer Boy

Too Many Songs

A lot of people would recognise Keith Moon.

John Bonham also. And perhaps Phil Collins.

Buddy Rich is very recognisable and, if only because he's featured on the Dave Letterman show, Anton Fig.

Stewart Copeland perhaps.

Bill Cosby plays drums and you could cheat by adding him.

That's seven to add to what you've already got.

A

audiotech

I hope that your instructor doesn't see this post LucyB, lol.

Dennis

LucyB

Great suggestions! Keep 'em coming :)

Yea, already thought of Keith Moon & Phil Colins, but hadn't got the rest.

I hold my hands up and admit I am no drummer, which is why I am relying on you guys as the experts!

Hi LucyB
...you remind me of - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds! :)

Ian Paice
John Bonham
Charlie Watts
Keith Moon
Simon Phillips
Buddy Rich
Bill Ward
Carmine Appice

...I hope it helps!

LucyB

It does help!! Thanks

I am noticing some themes/names that keep cropping up, so will definitely use them.

Lucy in the sky... you have no idea how many people have hummed that around me!

Barriemore Barlow. Thick As A Brick,A Passion Play,Warchild,Songs From The Wood,Heavy Horses.
Neil Peart. Hemispheres,Permanent Waves,Moving PIctures.
Bill Bruford. Red,The Yes Album,Larks Tongues In Aspic,FragileClose To The Edge.
Prairie Prince. The Tubes,Young And Rich.
Richie Hayward. my fav Sailin Shoes,Feat's Don't Fail Me Now,The Last Record Album The drumming on the song Hate To Lose Your Lovin' Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob Hirst. Head Injuries,Bird Noises,A Place Without A Postcard,10 to 1,Red Sails In the Sunset,Species Deceases
John Bonham. All his Zep recordings
Jimmy Cob. KInd OF Blue.
Max Roach. Freedom Now Suite,Clifford Brown And Max Roach.
Danny Carey. Undertow,Aenema,Lateralus.
Jaki Lebezeit. CAN!!!! Tago Mago.
Buddy Rich. The New One
ANIMAL.
Paul Mazurkiewicz. CORPSE FARK YEAH!!!!!!!!! THe Wretched Spawn
Peter Criss. hehe everyone knows him.

Virgil Donati too good for his own good lol,Serious Young Insects.
Terry Bozzio Danger Money.
Vinnie (alphabet?) Joe's Garage!
Phil Collins All Genesis. All Brand X he played on.

Last edited:
D

Doctor Dirt

Not sure anymore but at one time Gene Krupa was the first name in drumming! No one was more popular until Buddy Rich became of age. Doc

Not sure anymore but at one time Gene Krupa was the first name in drumming! No one was more popular until Buddy Rich became of age. Doc
Got him on Vinyl.Had it since I was about 6 years old lol back in the early 70s.

Verve Jazz Gene Krupa.

Someone gave me his old book too but it's misplaced now.

Drummin' Man,He's A Drummin' Man

What About Billy Cobham?

LIstening to The Lost Trident Sessions.

That record is awesome.
That band blow me away.
So much passion.So much energy.
Some of the music is bordering on heavy metal.

Love McLaughlins other Mahavishnu album Apocalypse also.

A classical melodic side with the orchestra.Beautiful stuff and Narada Michael Walden really gets into it on a few numbers.

Mahavishnu and Brand X.

Return To forever had some really passionate stuff going too with The Romantic Warrior.

Shits all over todays perfectly played sterile cheese fusion.

I forgot Tony Williams-Believe It,Miles Smiles.

Too Many Songs

Darren My Friend

I don't want to get heavy on you but have you read the OP? Your posts are great but they don't belong in this thread. Poor Lucy isn't a drummer dude. Give her a break.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Meg White (from the White Stripes) has a style of her own, easily recognisable and easy to play.

Cheers!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
This is your no fail list right here:

Peter Criss, Animal, Ringo, Neil Peart, John Bonham, Dave Grohl, Phil Collins, Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, Travis Barker, Tommy Lee & Meg White

larryz

Platinum Member
Don't forget Mick Fleetwood. Basically he was the face of their two greatest recording achievements, the album covers for self-titled Lindsey/Stevie intro LP and of course Rumors.

LucyB

Wow you guys are really knocking this challenge out of the park!!

I appreciate that you are getting very excited about naming the best drummers, but you need to put yourselves in the shoes of non-drummers like me. Think distinctive/iconic/easily recognisable by other non-drummers.

Thanks for all the contributions so far, for your help I might throw in one of the more legendary drummers but less well known by joe-public just in recognition of your help and enthusiasm!!

Lucy

PS - Meg White is a defo, need a female representative!

Too Many Songs

Lucy

Peter Criss is a great suggestion. You may not recognise his name but you'd definitely recognise him in stage makeup. He was (is) the drummer with KISS.

So far as the female component is concerned. Meg White is a great suggestion as well. But I'll stick with Karen Carpenter only because she was a really good drummer as well as singer and I think more recognisable than Meg.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Mmmmh... Reading these names... I'm not sure if they all have something special about them that you would know or guess who they are....

Peter Criss makes sense with the make up thing, and perhaps Charlie Watts with the hi-hat not being played on 2 and 4...

It depends on how the competion's happening, is it going to be played by real drummers? The ones who have to guess who's who are drummers themselves?

I don't know, just a thought