100 year old mahogany

uniongoon

Gold Member
Getting over the hump building this kit. It is I guess what we call a short stack kit. The wood is re purposed from a bed built pre 1920's which I scored for $20 at a yard sale. Oddly enough it belonged to a symphony drummer from Peterborough where the bed was originally built.

wlvg5u.jpg


34q46md.jpg


Sizes: 10X7 12X7.25 14X7.5 15X12 and the kick 20X17
I did not have enough of the antique mahogany for a kick, so I bought some African Mahogany which should mate quite well.

Kick on the lathe


I am inlaying a band of Olive Ash Burl on the toms, for the kick I am putting the burl into the hoops only. My first attempt at this, learning curve at work. No burl in hoops here, just the cut out, last pic shows one hoop taking shape with the burl inlay.



The toms also are outfitted with maple re-rings which I steam bent and installed. The edges are roughed in so far, outer round over, inner 45. One coat of danish oil applied here, the finish will evolve from here.

 
T

The Old Hyde

Guest
wow that is some nice work so far!! any thoughts yet on lugs?
 
T

The Old Hyde

Guest
Nice subtle lug choice, now, a sheet of black wrap and those are done!! haha what kind of oil finish are you going to use? boiled linseed?
 
T

The Old Hyde

Guest
That this is amazing looking. cant wait to see the completed project, good luck
 

double_G

Silver Member
sick concept ! cannot wait to see the final product. love you man.
 

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Stunning and beautiful.
I can't wait to see and hear the finished kit.
Great job.
 

uniongoon

Gold Member
The inlay works really well on the hoops, & complements the bass drum beautifully :)

My inlay skill is getting a little better with each drum, so I just went back, routed out the 14 and re did it. I too love the look of the hoops. I am getting anxious to play on this kit as well. I do have a drummer who has been hinting that he wants to buy this kit, he is the owner of the the burl snare posted above, he is a full time professional. That snare recently made it onto every track of his last album (he brought I think 8 or 9 others to the sessions) I am not sure I can come up with a price. I am afraid the time and materials that will be in the kit, I will want more than a Craviatto kit, and I know my inlay work is not up to Craviatto's level ---yet, so my conscience will force me to sell it for much less than what I feel it is worth, therefore I am leaning towards keeping it for my greedy self. But money talks, and I always need money.
 

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I am afraid the time and materials that will be in the kit, I will want more than a Craviatto kit, and I know my inlay work is not up to Craviatto's level ---yet, so my conscience will force me to sell it for much less than what I feel it is worth, therefore I am leaning towards keeping it for my greedy self. But money talks, and I always need money.
For sure - if you added up your time, you'd be much better off flipping burgers!!!! Most players have absolutely no idea how long such a build takes, especially compared to layering up standard ply shells. I'm guessing the ratio exceeds 10:1!!!

My advice is to let the kit do the talking. If it really speaks to you personally, aside from the deserved pride in building it, then keep it. If it's just a very nice kit, let it be another one on your journey that helps build the next one. I've lost count of the number of drums we've sold way below cost, but they do their job, then it's time to move on :(
 

opentune

Platinum Member
amazing work! the inlay must be quite difficult to learn.

am wondering, what is the thickness of these drum shells?
 

uniongoon

Gold Member
amazing work! the inlay must be quite difficult to learn.

am wondering, what is the thickness of these drum shells?

The toms are about 5/16th thick, kick about 3/8-7/16 area. The re rings really allows the stave shell to go thin, which should let them resonate to the max. Had to finish up a couple furniture projects and clean the garage thoroughly so I can spray the finish. Cleaning the shop is a good 2 day job, which is now done, on with the build.
 

uniongoon

Gold Member
I am on the home stretch now. I sprayed the kit with 6 or 7 coats of 2 part automotive urethane with a shot of flex agent to give the drum room to breathe with temperature changes. The bearing edges are 95% complete, roundover outer and a 45 inner. I masked the edges to keep them free of clear coat, they will get a final sand and a beeswax coat to finish them.



I drilled all the lug holes using a homemade jig for consistency



And I inserted the custom vents. All that remains now is to wait a week or two for the urethane to cure, then I can wet sand 600 to 2000 grit and polish to remove the orange peel and have hopefully a finish like a calm peaceful lake. Then go spend a couple hundred bucks on new heads, assemble and PLAY!!!

 
T

The Old Hyde

Guest
WOW, keeps getting better and better. this is going to look nice all set up!
 

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
WOW, what a beautiful kit you will have. If they sound even half as good as they look they will be wonderful.
 
Top