10 lesser known but oft heard drummers

opentune

Platinum Member
As a complement to the 10 household name drummers, how about drummers who's playing was very often heard (i'm talking 60's - 80's radio here) but nobody in the household (but drummers) would have heard of them?

A few non-household names off the top of my head (well.... leaving out the super 'session' guys ....Blaine, Porcaro, Gordon, Gadd, Purdie, Keltner).

Nigel Olson (Elton John's band)
Aynsley Dunbar (Bowie, Zapp, Journey)
Andy Newmark (Sly Stone, Bowie, Lennon....)
Russ Kunkel (Jackson Browne)
Liberty deVitto (Billy Joel's band)
Mick Woodmansey (Bowie)
Kenny Buttrey (Neil Young, Bob Dylan)
Rick Marotta (Steely Dan)

Who did I miss?

A

Anthony Amodeo

pigeon holing Rick Marotta to only Steely Dan is not quite fair

not sure about lesser known....but here are some often heard cats

Steve Gadd
Steve Ferrone
Hal Blaine
Josh Freese
JR Robinson
Earl Palmer
Jim Keltner
Al Jackson
Pistol Allen
Rex Hardy

opentune

Platinum Member
pigeon holing Rick Marotta to only Steely Dan is not quite fair
Sure, many on your or my list played with everybody... being session guys. trying to think of folks who were kinda in a 'band' that were heard a lot (like Olson, deVitto). I forgot about Ferrone...all that AWB stuff!

Fuo

Platinum Member
Tommy Aldridge
Tommy Clufetos
Brian Tichy
Randy Castillo

(yes, I just googled "ozzy drummers", man those guys have resumes...)

A

Anthony Amodeo

Tommy Aldridge
Tommy Clufetos
Brian Tichy
Randy Castillo

(yes, I just googled "ozzy drummers", man those guys have resumes...)
Tommy Aldridge blew my wig when I was a kid.

there was a good 3 or 4 years in the mid to late 80s when I was just about obsessed with the guys playing.

he was playing with Whitesnake at the time and I would get out to see them as many times as I could just to check out Tommy

serious bad MFer

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Barrymore Barlow
Benny Benjamin (motown)
Paul Liam (country/nashville)
Tommy Wells(country/nashville)
Uriel Jones (motown)
Richard Pistol Allen (motown)
Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown/Motown)
Pretty Purdie...everybody

Steve B

Fuo

Platinum Member

there was a good 3 or 4 years in the mid to late 80s when I was just about obsessed with the guys playing.

he was playing with Whitesnake at the time and I would get out to see them as many times as I could just to check out Tommy

serious bad MFer
sweet white-dude-fro too ;)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Anthony nailed most of the guys I'd name, but here are a few others:

Allan Schwartzberg - Major studio cat in the 70's/80s who ghost drummed on many 80's bands albums. Used to get written up in Modern Drummer, but sort of fell off the radar.

Ralph Humphrey - Most people know him as that guy who once player with Zappa and then on to be a founder of PIT/LAMA, but he does a lot of TV and studio work. If you ever watch TV, yo probably hear him in some capacity.

Willie Ornalis - Does a lot of TV work, played on some major pop albums, but keeps a low profile, even with in the drumming community.

Jamie Oldaker - Played with Eric Clapton and others. You can't turn on classic rock radio and not here him at some point.

Gary Mallaber - Steve Miller band, and other popular artists. Again, you can't turn on classic rock radio and not hear him at some point.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

serious bad MFer
Them I'm sure you had the Project Driver album with Tony MacAlpine.

lsits

Gold Member
Hal Blaine.

One time I was listening to the oldies station and a string of four songs came on and I think Hal played on all of them. The Mamas and the Papas, The Fifth Dimension, The Beach Boys, and The Grass Roots.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Them I'm sure you had the Project Driver album with Tony MacAlpine.

of course I did...hahahaha!!!

you know who I also loved as a kid was Bobby Chouinard ....... particularly his playing on Billy Squires Don't Say No album

I would mimic every note he played on that record for hours and hours in my basement as a kid

he is a cat that never gets mentioned...he played on a lot of good records

we sadly lost in in 1997

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
As a complement to the 10 household name drummers, how about drummers who's playing was very often heard (i'm talking 60's - 80's radio here) but nobody in the household (but drummers) would have heard of them?
Awesome topic! Think about all the songs you've heard in the course of your most formative years. A lot (maybe even most) of us know the groove or beat to these songs, yet we sometimes have no idea who's cranking out that rhythm that we play in our heads while we listen!

For me, I know that I know more drum parts than I do those responsible for their creation.

I need to get out more.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Sure, many on your or my list played with everybody... being session guys. trying to think of folks who were kinda in a 'band' that were heard a lot (like Olson, deVitto). I forgot about Ferrone...all that AWB stuff!
And Ferrone now with Tom Petty.

eddypierce

A few non-household names off the top of my head (well.... leaving out the super 'session' guys ....Blaine, Porcaro, Gordon, Gadd, Purdie, Keltner).

Nigel Olson (Elton John's band)
Aynsley Dunbar (Bowie, Zapp, Journey)
Andy Newmark (Sly Stone, Bowie, Lennon....)
Russ Kunkel (Jackson Browne)
Liberty deVitto (Billy Joel's band)
Mick Woodmansey (Bowie)
Kenny Buttrey (Neil Young, Bob Dylan)
Rick Marotta (Steely Dan)

Who did I miss?
I really love Kenny Buttrey's playing on Blonde on Blonde. Another guy who probably played on a ton of stuff that we've all heard is Buddy Harman. I'm not too familiar with his credits (besides Orbsion's "Pretty Woman," and he also played on some of Elvis' 60's output), but I think he was the top Nashville session drummer of the 60's.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I am quite surprised no one mentioned Kenny Aronoff. He payed with John Mellencamp for a long time and many others since then. His web site says he played on over thirty Grammy nominated recordings.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I am quite surprised no one mentioned Kenny Aronoff. He payed with John Mellencamp for a long time and many others since then. His web site says he played on over thirty Grammy nominated recordings.
I was going to mention Kenny, but I don't know if he's considered lesser known.

Sure, he's no Tommy Lee tabloid fodder, but I've seen his name come up in non-drumming media.

When he played at the Presidential inauguration, main stream TV news even did a small article on him.