0neyellowdrum Live w/CodeRed

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, I have to say, I'm super impressed. First off, I'm loving the band. All good players, & I especially like the conga flavours over the drumming. I think your drumming is both skilled & totally right for the music. Great time, slick fills, & a neat sense of groove.

I loved the interview, & strangely, your history is very similar to mine, except I was trained in classical percussion. I played until I was about 25 (pro for 6 years) then gave up for a variety of reasons. Took it back up again 3 years ago (along with my son), & never looked back! I suspect we're a similar age.

Anyhow, great stuff all round, & cool to see the delight & joy you get from playing. Good luck with all you do, Andy.

0neyellowdrum

Steve, I have to say, I'm super impressed. First off, I'm loving the band. All good players, & I especially like the conga flavours over the drumming. I think your drumming is both skilled & totally right for the music. Great time, slick fills, & a neat sense of groove.

I loved the interview, & strangely, your history is very similar to mine, except I was trained in classical percussion. I played until I was about 25 (pro for 6 years) then gave up for a variety of reasons. Took it back up again 3 years ago (along with my son), & never looked back! I suspect we're a similar age.

Anyhow, great stuff all round, & cool to see the delight & joy you get from playing. Good luck with all you do, Andy.
Welcome back, Andy.
I must say I really found myself looking forward to some comments from you ( as I suspect anyone brave enough to post their playing and put it out there for review would hope for your review).
Thanks for all the positives. I imagine we are of a similar age and I, too, studied classical percussion- Bartok on the marimba wit 4 mallets was great fun! I was studying drums/drumset with a bigband drummer and classical percussion with the principle percussionist of a nearby symphony in my teens. But rock + roll stole my heart.
I suspect there are many of us on this forum who hung up the sticks only to pick them up again later in life. Good on you, Andy!
Steve

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
- Bartok on the marimba wit 4 mallets was great fun! I was studying drums/drumset with a bigband drummer and classical percussion with the principle percussionist of a nearby symphony in my teens.
Wow Steve, you're way ahead of me on that one. 4 mallets, whoohoo, way beyond my youthful skillset! Plus, you studied kit, I never had the pleasure, just had to transfer the rather sober classical stuff to kit. Like you though, rock & roll stole my heart to, then broke it, with equal passion. I trained on timpani & tubular bells, a regular little Mike Oldfield, lol!

Anyhow, enough private chat. I really liked the band. Just got a nice no pressure pro feel all round, & I look forward to more "real music" from you & your buddies.

0neyellowdrum

Anyhow, enough private chat. I really liked the band. Just got a nice no pressure pro feel all round, & I look forward to more "real music" from you & your buddies.
These guys are my bud's. We get along so well. No real head cases save for one but he is kept in check by all of us others. :) And it seems that being bud's and getting along so well is a strong component of the band. I have had and many others I know have had experience with the opposite.

And because none of us post here just to get compliments but want/need some real critique I was reviewing my own functions in these recordings (isn't this what we all do when we can hear/see ourselves outside the moment?) and related my review to comments Poly made in the reverbnation thread I posted earlier regarding the tamborine.

I (we as drummers) are the time keepers of the band but I find myself influenced so greatly by the others- the rhythmic strumming of guitar, the linear runs of the bass and the pulse of the tamborine- that it affects my time keeping and messes with my senses. Am I dragging or speeding up etc.? My dragging was very evident on Come to Me.
I get the blame no matter what! for I am the time keeper and the other musicians are not kept to this standard. Do any of you experience this?

0neyellowdrum

Though no video and rather than post in the now dead reverbnation thread I am including an mp3 of a rather unusual song for us. This take was a last minute change in direction of the song. During warmups, I was fooling around with my version of Pocaro's shuffle (though sloppy and uneven) and the boy's said to use it. This take should not have been used, IMO, but it was.
Cheers,
Steve

Attachments