“New” Tama 12x16 Bass Drums

I've mentioned this before, but if you get a Tama Speed Cobra you'll never have the problem of the pedal hitting the rim because it's all shifted back about an inch.

True. I also don't believe that every 16 and 18 needs a riser in general. I like the sound of a 'slightly off center' hit and always preferred a reduced beater shaft length. I've never had issues using a 16 or 18 sans riser, I also never had an issue with the pearl midtown riser and associated 'notched' bass drum hoop.

I've mentioned this before, but if you get a Tama Speed Cobra you'll never have the problem of the pedal hitting the rim because it's all shifted back about an inch.
I had a similar experience in using different pedals on a 16" bass drum. After owning a Sonor Safari kit w/16" bass drum for a couple of years, I switched pedals from an older DW5000 to a Speed Cobra. That fixed the issue of the beater head hitting too far forward.

Oh, they went there:

It sounds cool. Not good, but cool.
I imagine it sounds like a normal-sized kit has inhaled helium, or the tape is sped up a la the Chipmunks...? :LOL:

I’ve also inquired about the SC walnut birch in 16/14/12 configuration and quote I got was over $1900. Again, pass. Overpriced.

Yes, but you should not be forced to buy a different pedal because the drum kit wont work properly with whatever pedal you want. That's a big deal breaker for me. Oh wait, I play a Midtown, problem averted!

Yes, but you should not be forced to buy a different pedal because the drum kit wont work properly with whatever pedal you want. That's a big deal breaker for me. Oh wait, I play a Midtown, problem averted!

I played a 12” kick on a riser without any problem. So I bet a regular 16” without riser shouldn’t be a problem ?

I asked for a quote for a matching 16x12 Maple Mahogany kick.

I'm often tempted to get a "micro" kit like the Midtown or something and then I think...why? I have 2 "bop" kits (12-14-18). What can a micro kit do that a bop can't? It's not that much more portable and the 12 and 14 inch toms are way more versatile. I don't like a 10 inch tom when it's the only rack tom. 10 with a 12 is fine. I guess it's the cute factor that tempts me. But I would never put serious coin on one like a Star or even a Starclassic. Under a grand is plenty good enough for a tiny kit. If I were to give in to temptation I would lean towards a Midtown. There's one sitting in a store not five minutes from me at a little over $500. Oh jeez, stop me!

I can attest that a small bass drum when mic'ed sounds great. I've watched friends play my kit with an 18 for a number or two from the audience and it sounded great. It didn't sound small or weak or anything like that. It sounded like a bass drum.

Back