Search results

1. S

Build Project begins!

HI all, Some of you may remember I have ordered some Shells to be made- Vertical grain Birch......6 piece-10,12,13,14,14s and 20. Well I will be collecting them this week from the maker Alan Tocknell. I have in the weeks since ordering been playing with many ideas for finishing the drums before...
  2. S

Building a custom kit!

Hi all! I have decided after years wanting- to begin a build, The kit will be a 6 piece Birch set, here are the specs! 10" x 6.5" 12" x 7.5" 13" x 10" 14" x 12" Bass Drum 20" x 18" Snare Drum (7.5mm with r/rings) 14" x 6.5" Triple flange hoops, guager mounts, evans...
  3. S

Drum build project

Hiya all! There was a thread here started by SGT I believe- he was talking about a drum build- I too was considering that and decided to go ahead- I am just getting prices for vertical grain shells 10/6,12/7,14/8,16/10,20/18bd and 14/6.5 snare. with pre done bearing edges, snare beds. The reso...
  4. S

Sats gig pics

This is s link to the pics from the last gig I played- my first with the new band loose lips! Pics at loose lips- 2nd may. http://www.littlehampdon.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=17 I have not got any recordings as yet but they will come soon- I dont wanna hear any kids toss on about my set up-...
  5. S

Ec2- real world review needed

Hiya all! I have been thinking about getting a new set of batter heads- and am asking anyone with ec2s on to give me an idea how wellk they damp overtones. I am using Aquarian performance 2s at the moment and just love the sound- but these Evans heads look like they are worth a try out? If I am...
  6. S

Have some music from me!

Just an example of some of the stuff I have done over the years- this is a cover of Brian Ferrys- Stick together, played with my 9 piece band- called- Scratch. You can hear loads more if you follow my link in the signature! I hope you like them all, Some of them are with a blues band I formed a...
  7. S

Drum set up- the truth!

A great many people talk about various ways to set up drums- for me I find that the only way for me to play in comfort and often is to have my drums...my way. I play a fair bit for three bands, session and teach..frankly if I am not comfortable i can hurt myself in time. At 44 years old and...
  8. S

Damping

Over the years drumming I have come to use less and less damping on my drums..I have noticed with better tuning methods I can now find the point that requires no damping at all on all my drums- leaving a nice depth of sound and a little ring after the hit- NICE! The bass drum is the only thing I...
  9. S

Fitness routine, practice and good health.

I am a 44 year old guy from Surrey- UK. I gig around 3-4 times a week, practice around the same for myself and with bands around twice a week, I teach in the day time for a living as well as run a small office cleaning company in the back ground- I employ people who work for me. I realised...
  10. S

Emotion when playing.

When I play the drums sometimes I find myself getting emotional-- I have done some gigs and left the stage after and thought to myself, man that could in no way have been better! Do you know what I mean.....when everyone in the band plays the very best they can, nothing goes wrong and it works...
  11. S

Drummers who play too much!

So I went to see a band the other week and had to say I came across this drummer who to put it simply just would not listen to the tune the band was playing and in the main just wanted to be the center of attraction..he would fill far too much and be louder than required with no thought for...
  12. S

Carpel tunnel

I have been troubled by this for over ten years on and off- it plays up a fair bit after I have played around five gigs back to back and results in shooting pain up my forearm. I also from time to time have what they call trigger finger where the fingers in my right hand can lock up from the...
  13. S

Yamaha bass drum pedal spares

Hi all, who knows where to get yamaha pedal spares- I am after a replacement chain seat/guide ,its black rubber with shoulders that hug the chain. Anyone with an older Yamaha will know what I mean! I have searched the internet and cant find it anyplace- even on the Yamaha site I can see no...
  14. S

Gig dates for members

I am playing in New Malden on the 2nd of May...Cant find a place to post the gig details- NOT even sure its allowed- any mods out there wanna fill me in on this. I wont put up any more details till I have permission as I dont want to upset anyone!?
  15. S

Warm up routine

Whats yours- I loosen up by doing some fast paradidles around the kit, crossing over hands etc, and flams with rolls, fives, sevens, nines etc. I do this for around ten mins before practice and playing out live. It helps me loosen and put the mind in the right place everytime. A swift pint...
  16. S

Post your Gig Pics

Festival pics a from a couple of years ago!
  17. S

Link to my website- live recordings

Here you go this is me! All the blues tunes recorded live using my Export, with Aquarian heads up top, G2s on the bottom and Sabian pro cymbals. I hope you like the music! http://www.reverbnation.com/scratchthemonkey H
Back