Search results

1. Seafroggys

Black Beauty 6.5” vs 8” - is the difference real?

I didn't even know the Universal was a thing until I went drumstore browsing a few weeks back. They seemed pretty cool and not that expensive. Are they like a cheaper version of Supras/BBs?
  2. Seafroggys

This cover gives me hope for music...

Actually, I take that back. Since we're talking about SOR, they did actually do a cover of Three of a Perfect Pair this past year. Which is crazy cool
  3. Seafroggys

The School of Rock Master Class, or whatever its called, is often shown to me on my youtube feed. Its pretty much the best of the best from the entire country, they're incredibly good, but you have to remember its a tiny subset of the schools' total enrollment. I've seen random videos from...
  4. Seafroggys

How important is note reading for beginning drummers?

Yep, agree with this, and on a grander scale, consistent vocabulary is super important! I distinctly remember when I was like 20, auditioning for this band. They told me to play a certain groove by playing a rhythm on a floor tom. So naturally, I played that rhythm they asked for on the floor...
  5. Seafroggys

Love King Crimson, but this seems to be the only song anybody covers of theirs.
  6. Seafroggys

Would you hesitate gigging a vintage snare on the road?

I mean, vintage can mean massively different things. Like, for most the 2010's I mostly gigged with a 70's era Pearl set, no issue. Do those count as vintage? Even though I haven't played it live, I do have a 70's Supra that was pitted to hell when I bought it in 2014, but I would totally take...
  7. Seafroggys

Young Drummers/Tik-Tokkers etc

So there was a drum forum that I was super active on when I was in high school and college....it was the drum forums for MXTabs, also known as musicianforums. They later transitioned to a review site called Sputnik, not sure if they're still around. The forums massively downsized over the years...
  8. Seafroggys

If chops matter then, why are Ringo and Lars

I think he meant The Beatles as with Ringo, not the Pete Best years.
  9. Seafroggys

Your perception of YouTube/IG/TikTok drummers

We're talking about two different groups of people. *I* post drum videos on my youtube video. I have hundreds on there. When I don't gig a lot, I tend to post more videos. That's the point I'm making. If I'm gigging, I don't have time to make youtube videos. I'm playing live and making way more...
  10. Seafroggys

If chops matter then, why are Ringo and Lars

Ringo has chops. I bet you you that half of this forum would think his playing was too busy on Strawberry Fields Forever if they weren't aware he was Ringo. I"m not even kidding.
  11. Seafroggys

Your Paiste Cymbal Rig

When I gig with the Crystal Beats, I go with all Red Colorsounds. 14" Hi-hats 10" Splash 17", 18", 19" Crashes 22" Ride
  12. Seafroggys

Grand..Funk..Railroad......

I do like GFR, but they're one of the many classic rock bands that don't have cross-generational appeal. I don't see Millenials and Xers going to their shows like other legacy acts, such as the Stones or The Who.
  13. Seafroggys

Are Young Drummers Sounding So Fast Because of Their Kick Foot?

I know, it still boggles my mind though. In the early/mid 00's when I was a teenager I was on the younger end of the forums I frequented, but forums were still primarily driven by other teenagers and people in their 20's. Nowadays, on Reddit, I skew older, as reddit is dominated by that same...
  14. Seafroggys

While I am agreeing with some points in this thread, this thread also has a lot of "back in my day" energy.
  15. Seafroggys

Also better pedals probably help make things easier.
  16. Seafroggys

There was this guy who posted youtube videos once a week about cool fills, I discovered him on r/drums on Reddit. For about a month I dug what he was playing, but then he started playing fills to just made no musical sense and were overtly complicated (which, coming from me, says a lot). After a...
  17. Seafroggys

I know in the case of Meytal Cohen, people tried to dig up proof of any live footage for years, and they were only able to find a couple of clips, and nothing else. Not even any credits for being on a recording or a band or anything. This was a few years before Covid so maybe things with her...
  18. Seafroggys

Drums in your Monitor? Yay or Nay?

Only bass drum. I can clearly hear everything else.
  19. Seafroggys

This reminds me of something that is kind of related to what we're talking about, but more of a side-tangeant. About a month or so ago YouTube recommended me this rando small-time band out of Ohio (which is across the country from me) called Spinning Jenny. I checked them out. The band is three...
  20. Seafroggys

Millennials are like 40 now, you know that, right?
Back