Search results

1. J.D.

Modern Gretsch

Sold my set to a church in FL, and I'm flying down there in Nov to play them again!
  2. J.D.

What's your latest purchase?

I've been thinking of getting rid of my A's and doing K Sweets....in case anyone is thinking of doing the opposite.
  3. J.D.

What's your latest purchase?

My first foray into Directdriveland. It's...different. I don't *not* like it. Not a "game-changer" by any means. Doesn't seem radically different than my 9000. It does seem...*quieter* though. I tried the DW beater I normal use and it just seemed to "tap" the BD. So I put the stock Gibraltor...
  4. J.D.

World's Fastest Drummer 2012 Daniel Rice

Never did that (biggest regret), but I learned something about them when one was going to cover for me at a CA church one week. I thought "this kid is amazing on the snare. He'll do great!". Um, no. Turns out that some people can set a snare on fire, but they have no concept of playing with 4 limbs.
  5. J.D.

World's Fastest Drummer 2012 Daniel Rice

I don't understand some of the comments. The sign says "World's Fastest Drummer". It's an actual contest, and he won. It doesn't say "World's Most Musical Drummer", or "Dream Theater Auditions"
  6. J.D.

Journey Arguing Over Drummer in Court

After all these years? The party's over. Feeling that way anyway. Wonder who's crying now? Still they ride, to play some music, faithfully. Don't stop believing
  7. J.D.

Drummers who don't get enough recognition?

CB remains the only album I've ever hunted down/purchased online.
  8. J.D.

Who would win John Bonham or Terry Bozzio

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Let's deescalate this stuff right now!
  9. J.D.

Who would win John Bonham or Terry Bozzio

I saw Bozzio do a clinic in CA at a GC once. Over the top ridiculousness. Certainly dispels the "drummers are dummies" nonsense. I *think* I saw him with Zappa in 1977. If I didn't, I saw Colaiuta with Zappa in 1978. (Hey, it was the 70's). Both at Mid Hudson Civic Theater.
  10. J.D.

Gibraltar GTC6DD

I had to force the left side on to the shaft, and it was barely on. It's a major improvement, but I'm returning it anyway. I really don't play double bass much so I'm gonna just spend the $ on the Gibraltar .
  11. J.D.

Gibraltar GTC6DD

Oh, it is. I just got a Trick drive shaft for my old 5000 (also hard to find), and it's not fitting properly. So I'm gonna return it and use the $ on a single pedal. Thought maybe I'd try DD.
  12. J.D.

Gibraltar GTC6DD

Hey all. Zero experience with DD, but I've got about $175 credit at Sweetwater and I thought I'd roll the dice. Anyone have experience with this pedal. AND, after playing a chain for 50+ years, will a DD mess me up?
  13. J.D.

Nick Buda's New Noble & Cooley Drum Kit

Did somebody say "60's Blue Onyx"?
  14. J.D.

Black Beauty 6.5” vs 8” - is the difference real?

Honest question : is it *just* tone? I have a 6 1/2" DW Collectors, and a 6 1/2" Dynasonic, yet my 5 1/2" Ddrum Dios just *feels* better. Rolls are faster/etc. It's my go-to gig snare. I do play an 8" BB at one church. I like it, but it doesn't blow me away.
  15. J.D.

Gavin Harrison here!

So I was looking for a drum cover of Pick Up The Pieces that I need to work on for our next gig, and came across this! (I think I'll stick to the original. You know, for the bands sake <cough>)
  16. J.D.

Studio set signed by Portnoy

:cautious:
  17. J.D.

IDK...it was in a studio. And I think only one drum was signed.
  18. J.D.

So my sound guy tells me yesterday that his kid (4) is banging away on a drum set. I'm thinking something cheap, but he says "I got a great deal on a bunch of stuff out of Indiana for the sound studio I'm building." Turns out it's a Starclassic in a custom blue color...and it's signed.
  19. J.D.

Mike Mangini

I missed the "hair" part of this thread, but I do agree he looked MUCH better with short hair.
Back