Search results

1. Tony_H

4 piece vs 5 piece kits

You just have to be more "creative" in how you do fills in those songs. ^^^ See what I did there... ;)
  2. Tony_H

4 piece vs 5 piece kits

Whatever you are comfy with. I enjoy playing my kit in a 6 piece and a 4 piece configuration. Each has it's differences, but both allow you to be as creative as you want.
  3. Tony_H

Genius Idea for Practicing Along With Youtube Vids

I usually convert the video to an mp3 and drop it to my phone, no extra tech needed. But could work as well.
  4. Tony_H

Networking skills for a working drummer

Being introverted and socially insecure are not one in the same. I am for lack of better terms very introverted. Because while I prefer to spend my free time lounging around the house or with a very small group of close friends, I am very outgoing when it comes to people that are at the...
  5. Tony_H

What Kind of Stereo Equipment Do You Have?

Samsung Bud Pro 2s
  6. Tony_H

new to Tunebot

You are right. Initially it takes a little bit of time to get each drum where you want it, and save the settings. But once those settings are saved and you don't change much, the TuneBot is literally a few minutes per drum to tweak the lugs to your desired tuning. My main kit usually stays in...
  7. Tony_H

new to Tunebot

All of that is available with the TuneBot if you know how to use it properly. Once you get close to the correct frequency on the lugs, the "filter" option really does a great job. Once I find tunings that I like, I save them to a preset and it holds all the information nice and neat. So...
  8. Tony_H

How do you approach loop/percussion heavy songs live?

With most modern(ish) pop songs that are heavily overproduced, we typically change the style to a grunge-pop or alternative version of the song. This does a few things: 1. It minimizes or eliminates the need to run loops or introduce extra sounds/percussion. 2. It keeps "our" sound a little...
  9. Tony_H

Wipe(d) Out (performing while dealing with health issues)

We had one show where I didn't pay attention to the changes to our set list changes and just gave the "yep, looks good to me" approval. We get to the third set and somehow I managed to get through this gauntlet of cardio and strength training: Everlong, Mr Brightside, Damnit, American Idiot...
  10. Tony_H

Heading into a risky gig.

When I read the title, I'm thinking to myself, "Check local firearm possession laws and make sure they have the chicken wire set up in front of the stage". :ROFLMAO:
  11. Tony_H

new to Tunebot

I use a soft mallet and just try to be somewhat consistent in where and how hard I hit the head near each lug. As long as the bottom head is dampened the Tunebot can take a fairly wide dynamic range from what I have noticed. Also, when you get the lugs close to the final tuning range, the...
  12. Tony_H

How Negligent Were You With Gear When You Started Out?

My first set was a Remo starter kit my parents bought me. I beat that thing to bloody he(ck) until years later when I learned proper technique and control. As a young teenager, I like many, didn't have much money. So I would rock heads with duct tape covering holes, cracked cymbals, and...
  13. Tony_H

Headphone Mixes - Common or not?

The band I'm in exclusively uses IEMs for live performances. Our stage volume has been reduced to just drums with everything else going direct into the mixer. As for practice, I just use hearing protection as we do not pull out our live sound gear for practice. Here is what I use, and all of...
  14. Tony_H

Extended Length Sticks?

Yeah, I'm in the Extreme 5BN camp as well. The feel, and most important, durability are something I haven't found in other sticks I've tried.
  15. Tony_H

Hearing Protection - What do You Use, if Anything?

At gigs I use my IEMs while we are playing. During breaks and at practice, I use Etymotic High-Fidelity ear plugs. They are very comfortable and preserve a good portion of the frequency range without sound muffled or muted.
  16. Tony_H

The Heat Is On (Keeping Cool While Gigging)

I did forget to mention. If you are not prone to sweating too much and/or you only have moderate water intake, you can dilute the sports drink with water in a 50/50 mix. You get the same benefits without the extra sodium intake.
  17. Tony_H

What kind of reptile are you? LOL...just kidding! I used to try to make those smaller personal fans work, the ones that you buy at the local everything store. Then I upgraded to a blower fan, because my body hates water and likes to get rid of as much as possible through sweat. I'll tell you...
  18. Tony_H

A lot of people forget another extremely important aspect of hydration, which is salt replenishment. If you are in extreme heat for up to 4 hours, and you sweat profusely like I do, you need to start your hydration either the night before, or early in the same day. During the event, as you...
  19. Tony_H

Small Mixer recommendations?

I've been using a Behringer Xenyx 502 for the past 12 or so years and it does everything that you mentioned. And best of all, it's a very reasonable price new.
Back