Search results

1. 9

Endurance for single-stroke rolls

I’ve tried this exercise today, though not with snare singles (but a maracas “stroke” I’m working on, if you want to know). It was interesting, revealing in more than one way. First, it was a reality-check about my perceived “max” BPM. I started 5 BPM below the bottom of the range calculated...
  2. 9

Damaging rims with rimshots ?

I only just realised how my question could be misconstrued to imply that some contributors to the thread have poor technique. That is not what I meant and I apologise for that. I literally meant “difference”, with no notion of quality. While we all strive for striking techniques that are...
  3. 9

Actually, where do you guys shop for spare Ludwig parts? (I’m in the UK)
  4. 9

Ok thanks everyone that’s reassuring. Il probably put spare rims on eventually to be safe (curious about die cast) but I won’t hold off till I can afford them to start practicing. The fact that rimshot-induced damage happens to some, but not many, makes me wonder if it could be caused by slight...
  5. 9

After playing on a pad for about a year, I’ve finally got round to buying myself a nice snare drum, a late 70s Acrolite in unbelievably good condition, all original parts, which sounds fantastic. I’m delighted with it. As I’ve only ever practiced exclusively on the pad, I’m excited to start...
  6. 9

Help reverse-engineering this bass drum sound

I'm curious to know how the bass drum sound in this video was achieved. It has a long ringing sustain, and somewhat strong harmonics. It's almost reminiscent of 808 kind of sounds. I suspect there's virtually no damping and it's mostly down to tuning, but not sure how to get there. Maybe...
  7. 9

I'm loving my new marching sticks

Someone told me the same thing when I started learning shaker patterns. I went straight to a heavy instrument on the premise that it would force me to learn relaxed playing. I got an elbow strain injury out of it. Different bodies, different challenges.
  8. 9

I'm loving my new marching sticks

I started snare drumming not long ago, first with 5As that were recommended as a good generic starting point. I’ve since graduated to concert-size sticks (VF SD1s and a few others). After reading this thread, i picked up my 5As again. I was very surprised by the amount of control I have gained...
  9. 9

Have SD1s always been made of maple?

Well, I weighted both pairs on the kitchen scale: my 5As are 55 grams each, and my SD1s are 61 grams each. Not so light after all, strange. They do feel lighter to me, clearly the laws of physics disagree with my feelings. Off topic: I also just got a pair of the fairly new VF SCS1...
  10. 9

Have SD1s always been made of maple?

I started to learn on a pad a few months ago using Vic Firth 5As (hickory). I was advised to change to SD1s because they are bigger, which I just did. They are light! I expected something weightier because they are bigger, but my pair is maple so it makes sense. Have they always been made out...
  11. 9

Unfamiliar sticks tip?

I've come across a kind of orchestral sticks tip I'm not familiar with. It's on the Tim Genis Leggiero (Vic Firth call it a "disc" tip, Tim's website says "hammer shaped" tip): It also the default tip shape on Rick Dior sticks, he calls it "barrel" (though it looks different from what I...
  12. 9

Help me refine my practice to my needs

I'm aware of the pitfalls of self-learning instruments, and people have also warned me elsewhere about pad-only practice. I should have mentioned that I'd very much prefer taking a tutor and learning mostly on a real drum. Without diving too much into specifics, It's not that I can't afford...
  13. 9

There’s so many, it’s really quite hard to pick one. A lot of the discussions I’ve read are about books to start as a kid: not for me. Right now I’m thinking about trying Wessels’ Fresh Approach? (Still need to look at the supporting material on Vic Firth website before deciding.) Also, do you...
  14. 9

I recently started teaching myself the snare drum, with the aim to spice up music I produce on the computer. More as a gateway into percussion than a gateway into playing the drum set per se. At the moment, (a) I only play on a pad—planning to buy a drum early 2022, (b) Ive kind of got the...
  15. 9

pedal-tuned "timpani" floor toms?

looking at the lugs, I'm guessing it's a similar mechanism to the discontinued vintage designs from other brands
  16. 9

Interesting, I shall look it up!
  17. 9

Other than vintage unobtainium (Yamaha and the likes) and the surely fantastic but pricey, pricey Kolberg pedal tom-tom (2.073,75€ in 14", 2.094,75€ in 16"!!), does anybody know of a pedal-tuned floor tom? I'm looking for an affordable alternative, hopefully someone still makes them today with...
  18. 9

weird friction (?) drum technique

i'll answer my own question: search the web for "percussion flumis" or "superball mallets"
  19. 9

Wow those sounds are amasing! The FSkrla mallets are a bit niche though, isn't there something slightly more mass-market along those lines ?
  20. 9

Does anybody know what this guy is using/doing here? Looks like he's rubbing a mallet coated in Plasti dip on his tom or something. Is it a common avant-guarde technique? I really like the kind of sustained sound he's getting.
Back