Search results

1. S

What sound qualities do you look for in In-Ear Monitors (IEMs)?

I'm looking to get my first pair of In-Ear Monitors, but on a budget. I am not looking for recommendations of specific IEMs! but rather, what kind of sound qualities are ideal for on-stage IEMs, and specifically for a drummer? Do I want lows emphasized, mids, highs, some mixture, or balanced...
  2. S

Replicate this snare sound: Chris Dave on Black Radio

Trying to get a handle on Chris Dave's snare sound from the Robert Glasper Experiment album Black Radio. Sound samples are below. I know since it's a studio recording, the sound also involves post-processing and effects, but if one were trying to replicate this sound as closely as possible just...
  3. S

Tom heads: Evans EC2 vs. Aquarian Reflector

Anyone have any experience with how these two heads compare for toms? Despite all the "comparison videos" out there nowadays, I wasn't able to find one with these two in the same video, and it's hard to compare across videos with different mic'ing, drums, and tuning.
  4. S

Dampening the shell rather than the head?

If we want a shorter sustain or less ring from our drums, we dampen the heads (either with pre-dampened heads or with materials like MoonGels). But what if we try to muffle the shell itself rather than the head? I'm not sure how - gaffer tape on the inside of the shell? (or outside, though...
  5. S

Snare tones: snap, crack, pop, bite - what do they mean?

It seems some of the most common ways to describe various snare tones are: snap, crack, pop, and bite. But when we say those words, what sonically do we mean? What kind of sound are we referring to? I feel like it's important to try to tease out to ensure we're actually talking about the same...
  6. S

Drilling new butt plate holes close to the old ones?

I'm planning to buy a 1mm brass snare that has a pretty standard butt plate with mounting holes 1 1/2" apart, but I want to replace that with an adjustable butt plate that has mounting holes 15/16" apart. If I get new holes drilled at that 15/16" distance, is that okay, or would having the two...
  7. S

Replacing the rod/lever of Speed Cobra Lever Glide Hi-Hat

I've had a Tama Speed Cobra Level Glide Hi-Hat stand for some time now. The action has started feeling a little off though, and the pedal angle adjustment doesn't really do anything anymore. I figured I'd get a new one, but $300?! Expeeensive. But I really like the stand/pedal and don't want to...
Back