Search results

1. MrBeats503

Discussion: Dark sounds

Makes sense. Especially when I think of notes on a piano.
  2. MrBeats503

Discussion: Dark sounds

I would agree with your son. I generally tend to think of it as a sound with a lower pitch with some level of distortion, but it doesn't always have to be a low pitch. I wouldn't consider a very clean low pitch sound "dark" It's how the color black sounds hahaha
  3. MrBeats503

Coated vs. Clear Heads

Noted. I will not be tuning JAW anymore
  4. MrBeats503

Coated vs. Clear Heads

I guess I should have said “try” the g14s or UV2s. I have yet to use them. I guess I was hoping for probably what you were hoping for in getting the open sound of a single ply with a little more durability. Evans describes them as “open” sounding with great sustain and volume.
  5. MrBeats503

Coated vs. Clear Heads

It’s just what happened. I’m not one of those drummers that takes pride in being a heavy hitter. The music I play is very loud and aggressive. Not sure if many of you can relate. I remember the first time I saw dented heads I thought of it as unmusical and that I would never do that, but here I...
  6. MrBeats503

Coated vs. Clear Heads

I recently switched from the evans onyx heads (they’re black coated) to clear EC2 and I regret it. I put some dents in the heads after just a couple times playing. I also play heavy rock/metal. The sound of the onyx heads is very dark. They project well and are very durable. I wanted a sound...
  7. MrBeats503

Hi Hat Height

I play mine fairly high. The reason is for looks and it also just feels right for the styles I’m playing (hard rock/heavy metal). If you play a lot of intricate hi hat stuff then you might want them lower, otherwise you’ll get used to the height difference and it will start to feel normal. I am...
  8. MrBeats503

Do you control your own stage mix?

Thanks for the info and suggestions, I’ll check those out. Definitely seems like the route I’ll need to go
  9. MrBeats503

Do you control your own stage mix?

Great question and answers. Playing hard rock and heavy metal I’ve had a lot of issues with properly hearing the rest of the band. I always ask for more more more in my wedge monitor, but once the band kicks off it turns to white noise. Larger stages are a little better. We’re saving up for...
  10. MrBeats503

brass snare

I agree that brass snares are are little more tricky to dial in. I'm still experimenting with the one I just got. So far a mid range tuning seems to suit my liking the best with the current Vintage Emperor head I had laying around. Cranked high it has very little sustain, but each drum is...
  11. MrBeats503

The reason for the Gretsch sound?

Gretsch Drums Catalina Maple 6-Piece Shell Pack with Free 8 in. Tom Satin Deep Cherry Burst | Guitar Center Bearing edge
  12. MrBeats503

Bring back Big Sizes!

I feel your pain. My next kit will probably have to be some special order unless I get really lucky and find something used (I want big and small drums). Maybe just 8/10/12/16/24. Last time I was in my local drum shop I loved the technology of the drums, but none of them came close to my...
  13. MrBeats503

The reason for the Gretsch sound?

Yes. What you are describing is a result of the 30 degree bearing edge. More shell resonance, less head resonance, overall less sustain.
Back