Search results

1. J

Anatolian 'Limited One' series from 2003-4

Just by chance anyone have experience with this line? a Limited One 20" Ride has come up for sale on the other side of town for $/Euros 80 and thinking to go over and check it out. Looks nice from his pics. ...there's only a few Youtube clips of Limited One's, and not very well recorded...
  2. J

80's Tama Rockstar 14'X6.5" snare any good?

Basically i want to do the Bonham sound on the cheap... i have a 1970's Japanese wood snare 14x5, and a more current 12x5 & thought a 14x 6.5 steel would be a fine addition. So anyone familiar with the old Rockstar snare drums?! and/or the later -DX version. (which i believe was the same...
  3. J

Maple vs. Hickory Sticks on Ride-Cymbal

Oak... Guess I'm not down the rabbit hole far enough. Now I'm gonna have to image search & see what oaks look like & if any are in my 'bundle sticks' aquisition. Side note, earned some brownie points with the wife when i played her a recording of a bunch of sticks on one cymbal and asked her...
  4. J

A few years back on eBay I bought inexpensive bundles of old sticks from 3 different peolpe cleaning house. Guessing up to 50 sticks... was fantastic! Matched pairs, tons of singles, from chewed up to basically unused, named to un-idenifiable, many look 40+ years old,...That's where i...
  5. J

Why are Wuhans so expensive (now)?

I'm in Europe. also, as i mentioned, I'm gorged with old Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, etc... I actually want Wuhan crashes to expand my palate! Ya it's not that they are (were) not premium prices, but chinese tonality seems exotic at this point. Got the Turkish & Swiss/German sounds covered. It's...
  6. J

To swish or not to swish?

i feel the same way about 24" 2oo2 China... amazing ride capabilities, beautiful-to-terrifying in one stroke. Who could ask for more? : )
  7. J

wow... Some cymbals are almost zero % affected by sticks. But for the ones that clearly are: the difference, right up to low-med volume, of stick wood, tip and weight makes all different not-subtle sounds. It has nothing to do with technique. You can-not get a maple sound out of a hickory stick...
  8. J

Why are Wuhans so expensive (now)?

ya... after reading how "cheap" but good they are, looking around on-line and used, they are not that cheap. I read of getting new chinas all day for 20-40... I bought a standard Wuhan 18" probably from 1990's era, and paid 60 bucks for it, cracked! Because after months that's all i could...
  9. J

did 602 re-issues affect prices of old ones?

I wasn't in the market for vintage strait up Formula 602's before they re-started the line. From the very favorable reviews that say they are the same, or even better, did/does that keep the prices from going nuts like some other drum gear? While collecting will always be there, what about...
  10. J

splash cymbals and Classic/HardRock

El Sabor AA!... I been checking those out on-line lately. A while back got a early Sabian 16" Sound Control Crash, the ones with the flanged edges. Very cool cymbal. has splash elements to it but depending how/where you play it, many sounds. Hands, rods, sticks... the SC loves them all. That...
  11. J

hey Bo, thanks for that post. Also iCe... gonna have to check out those Status Quo albums... Concerning my 10" Zildjian Custom and 8" Meinl Classics Custom Dark... It took me a long time to find one i liked after the Custom. The Meinl is at the opposite end of the spectrum from it. The Customs...
  12. J

10" Zildjian A Custom for me...
  13. J

oh ya... Ginger! Thats right! fantastic drummer. I use a Zildjian A Custom 10" and Meinl 8" Classics Custom Dark Splash.
  14. J

When i was a teenager in the 70's... Kiss was a big band for me, then a few years later, Mötorhead. Peter Criss and Phil Taylor! These 2 drummers played splash cymbals as a matter of course before i knew what a splash cymbal was... is there a progression or trend of splash cymbals being used in...
  15. J

anyone know Sabian Sound Conrol Line?

yes i noticed that. At least one seller said 'item discontinued', don't know if they meant from them or Sabian. And they are primarily crashes. As i said above I'm interested in a crash/ride... i guess the AA line would be ok to get a newer one because until you get to ride sizes there no or...
  16. J

thanks Ryan for that pic! It's the nicest photo by far i've seen...the lighting & detail is great. wow, i didn't think Sound Controls would go back that far... i thought they might be from around 2000. Google images only show 2 styles of ink for each AA & HH. i was impressed by a 20" ride...
  17. J

Not much info about them. When were they introduced? From what i gather they are light & have a flanged edge. Youtube clips are quite varying so it's hard forme to get a definitive take on them. I started out liking the HH versions but then heard an 18AA crash/ride that i really liked. The term...
  18. J

anyone know cymbals used on Bitches Brew Live stuff?

really enjoying Jack DeJohnette currently... his Miles years. Just watching him now on Isle of Wight DVD. His right cymbal has a small bell and dig it in the vids I'm checking out. His left cymbal sounds like it could be a Formula 602... I've searched around and could not find anything on his...
  19. J

super bowl half time bands cymbals?

what size/type Zildjian A cymbals on Anderson's kit? 18" crash, 20" ride? also Trevor's cymbals and percussionists?.... dig the floppy trash look and sound!
  20. J

Super Bowl Halftime Show

what size/type Zildjian A cymbals on Anderson's kit? 18" crash, 20" ride? also Trevor's cymbals and percussionists?.... dig the floppy trash look and sound!
Back