Search results

1. C

The Drum Modification Thread

Looks good. And the shoes look comfy.
  2. C

My 3 kids - first responder appreciation gig

It is great that you forged ahead despite the clarinetist. My drummer kid was playing in another band, but she felt spread too thinly and preferred her sibling band, so she gave the other one up. No originals yet, but they’ve flirted with it here and there. The challenge will be a year from...
  3. C

That’s a long and complicated story, but I’ll give you the details. I think what you’re doing is tremendously meaningful. Me: I’ll start with that the only reason music became such a big part of my life was that I was handed a trumpet in 4th grade in the NYC school system. I was in a borough...
  4. C

They span middle and HS. They are 12 (bassist), 14 (guitarist), and 17 (drummer). They’re just small for their ages. We are a surprisingly social media light family. Doing what they do together sure as heck beats spending time on social media, video games, etc. At least to me!
  5. C

Thanks! I have no doubt that they’ll remember this - it has made the 3 of them thick as thieves!
  6. C

Cold. Windy. Threatened rain. But they made the best of it for a good cause:
  7. C

The Drum Modification Thread

My daughter’s gigging kit. Yamaha Stage Custom Birch:
  8. C

Just my 3 kids, filling in for another band with bass player drama (video)

Thanks all ! It has been a steep learning curve for me as I had to step in on roadie duties and sound. And I knew very little about drums, guitar or bass when they started down this path.
  9. C

Just my 3 kids, filling in for another band with bass player drama (video)

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. Hello again. My kids were asked a few weeks back to fill in for an adult band going through drama. They had a blast. Here’s a compilation (warning, 20+ minutes) from some of their 20+ songs. It isn’t easy to see the drum setup, but they’re Yamaha Stage...
  10. C

smaller compact kit recommendations

My 5' tall teenage daughter had the same issue. She went with a Mapex Saturn V set with a 20" bass drum. The key was a 20" bass drum and rack toms that are on the shallower side. She considered rack toms on stands and a larger bass drum, but along with being on the short side her "reach" isn't...
  11. C

Uninformed Drummer Dad | Snare Question

From one dad to another, this makes me feel great, as I've got a 15 year old with Mapex Saturns and and assortment of Zildjian (new beats, A's and K's) and I thought that I was nuts and am somewhat embarrassed by her riches. I've got 2 other kids to fund with their music gear, so that keeps me...
  12. C

Are overpriced drums worth it ? A Defence of mapex

Yes. It was a bit tongue in cheek. Looks pretty good to me.
  13. C

Recent issue Saturn V exotic fusion here. No hardware issues. But maybe I’ve never looked hard enough.
  14. C

Sorry - meant to link to jimb’s post.
  15. C

Agree re cymbals. You can make many lower priced shells sound very good, but there’s not much you can do about cymbals. Right now my daughter is running vintage Z new beats hats, and a mixture of Z As and Ks for crashes and ride (all bought used). She likes the new Sabian HHX complex series, but...
  16. C

I think that we all make our own decisions based on facts and opinions unique to each of us, including: income level, debts and financial obligations; how important music is to each of us versus other interests; how important a particular brand is to us (and our background prejudices re brands)...
  17. C

Newbie Looking for a Drum Kit

If they’re in good shape for a good price, I wouldn’t hesitate to go for them. On par with exports.
  18. C

Should I pull the trigger on Starclassics

I speak from experience. Been there. Done that. Regretted it.
  19. C

Should I pull the trigger on Starclassics

Cymbals. The deal is distracting you. You really want 20/12/14.
Back