Search results

1. offdwall

How many rides and hi hat pairs do you have?

I am a professional recording engineer and amateur drummer so my perspective may be different from others here. Rides - I can see having multiples of. Very different sounds needed for different songs/styles. HH's - I think a basic set of 14" New Beats can cover anything IMO. I've had drummers...
  2. offdwall

Pre-"grid" musicianship

I have been a professional recording engineer for 30+ years. I have over 200 albums and untold TV and film credits. I'd say 80% of that material was recorded with a click track. It's VERY common and the caliber of drummers I deal with have absolutely no issue grooving to a click track. The 20% I...
  3. offdwall

Pre-"grid" musicianship

I'm in NO way promoting the over quantization of these drum parts but the 1st example was SO far off of Beato's determined 170, it's ridiculous. Hence why EVERYTHING of the original part was shown to be behind the beat. The second shuffle part was a SHUFFLE. He quantized the shuffle out of it...
  4. offdwall

The First Kit You Got

Ha. I had quite a collection of Junk cymbals too starting out. I bought my first “real” cymbals when I once leaned forward, shifting a little of my weight onto my HH foot. The top HH cymbal turned inside out. ? Bought a used pair of first generation 14” Zildjian New Beats that I still use today.
  5. offdwall

Pre-"grid" musicianship

It was not uncommon to record to a click even back then. A really good drummer can groove "around" the click while the band follows him. I see it every week. I'm a recording engineer by trade. Mediocre drummer for fun. :)
  6. offdwall

The First Kit You Got

My first kit was a 1967 Slingerland 3 piece kit my father bought me new for $187.00 (I recently found the receipt). 20" Kick, 9x13" rack tom, 5x14" snare. I still use the snare drum. I have the others up in the attic but as a stupid kid, I put various holes in them with Tama tom mounting hardware.
  7. offdwall

How many rides and hi hat pairs do you have?

Got two rides. Got the second one because I wasn’t happy with the first after a few years. Been playing the same 22” Zildjian rock ride for 40 years (with a 25 year break in between). I have the same set of 14” Zildjian New Beat HH’s that I bought used in the early 70’s. Now crashes...
  8. offdwall

new crash sound vs used crash sound

I would agree that a cymbal changes sound over time. But gradually over a VERY long time. Due to oxidation, dirt accumulation, loss of metal, dents, small defects, cracks etc. Breaking in over a relatively short time by playing it. I don’t buy it.
  9. offdwall

Hi-hat bottom mounting hole: how does this happen and can it be removed?

Wow, I’m anal and that sticker would drive me nuts. The black around the hole, not at all.?
  10. offdwall

How many pedals have you owned?

Five in 52 years but I did take 25 years off. :) 1) Some piece of no name junk that I got with my starter Slingerland set in 1967. 2) A used Ludwig Speed King I bought around 1970. 3) A single chain dw5000 that I bought new in 1983 with my Yamaha Recording Customs when I actually started to...
  11. offdwall

Vinnie Colaiuta

Vinnie is the bomb. Without a doubt - my favorite drummer. I've had the pleasure of recording him (I'm a recording engineer by profession, amateur drummer for fun) for a Chuck Loeb record many years ago and FOH for a weekend of live gigs at the Iridium in preparation for that record.
  12. offdwall

show off your snare

It’s been like this for 50 years. ? I like it. I’m just into really OEM things now and rewrapping it I feel would make it even LESS original.
  13. offdwall

show off your snare

1967 Slingerland snare from my original starter set. It was silver sparkle when new but I stupidly removed the wrap when I was a dumb kid. :) It actually looks awesome like this but I'm sure any value it had was lost.
  14. offdwall

Flat Base Hardware Opinions

I really like the look as well.
  15. offdwall

show off your snare

1983 Tama Mastercraft Steel 6.5X14. Bought new in 1983 for $162.00
  16. offdwall

Light, Flat, BOOM! JK on the flat but it still is a very light boom stand like this.
  17. offdwall

I admit, looks are subjective but to me the Crosstown stuff is unique enough that I feel it blends nicely with my 1983 Yamaha RC’s. If you’ve already got a Yamaha boom, you can use just the base of the Crosstown on that one and still save a ton of weight. But I DO get the look of the flat base...
  18. offdwall

If you're looking for light weight but not flat base, the Yamaha Crosstown series can't be beat.
  19. offdwall

Show us your BLACK drums !!

1983 Yamaha Recording Customs. 8x12, 10x14, 16x16, 14x22. 1983 Tama Mastercraft 14x6.5 snare.
  20. offdwall

New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

I recently got a set of these plus an additional cymbal stand. The light weight is astounding! The included case easily fits the additional stand, my kick pedal and stick bad. I was getting an old 1983 Yamaha Recording Custom set back together after many years in storage. I had previously used...
Back