Search results

1. porter

Tama SLP Wood Snares

Aluminum is a phenomenal snare drum metal for sure. Wasn't sure if you were specifically looking for a wood drum, but aluminum is not too far sonically and can serve pretty much every studio role. I use an Oriollo Phantom 55 pretty much constantly.
  2. porter

Tama SLP Wood Snares

I haven't liked what I've heard of the Fat Spruce drums - they have a kind of... annoying midrange to them, to me. Too throaty, and I'm not a die-cast hoops person. If you are, you might like it! My absolute favorite out of the SLPs is the G-Walnut. That thing takes any tuning like a champ and...
  3. porter

Mark Guiliana or Marcus Gilmore?

the only real answer here. For real, there is nothing to be gained comparing them as if one of them is (or could be) objectively better. Bring some examples if you want to compare them on some legitimate basis.
  4. porter

Looking to record with zoom H6

Thanks on the sound compliments! Haven't perused the Q8 myself but it sounds like it does work with the XLR module which is cool. Just for posterity, both of the included capsules (not sure about the extra ones) with the H6 record two channels of audio, plus the 4 included XLR inputs which...
  5. porter

Looking to record with zoom H6

IMO yes. I've been recording on an H6 for a year now and the sound is fantastic. You need a kick mic for sure but it actually picks up snare rimshots really well so I'm not even hardline on that. Here's a raw example of its sound - you can see tom and snare mics but the only thing you're hearing...
  6. porter

Sweet Spot Clutches

I think they look rather gaudy and especially so when they are used for like, every cymbal on a kit. Not a fan.
  7. porter

DW "Pure" Maple/Birch/Oak/Cherry kit comparison vid

Saw this today on Youtube, nicely done comparison I think. Not easy to skip around simply but a pleasing lack of heavy processing. I really enjoy the Cherry and Maple, personally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY4bJaCc58
  8. porter

Evans Power Center Reverse Dot- question

This is most likely an issue with your snare wires being too tight. For a high tuning, they do need to be somewhat tight, but you should still be able to activate them with a solid finger stroke (like, just tapping with your finger, not with a stick).
  9. porter

Underappreciated Turkish Cymbals

Hi all, just picked up a Bosphorus 22" Master Ride off MyCymbal and absolutely love it, figured I'd start a thread for other great stuff from lesser-represented Turkish brands as it was just a random MyCymbal demo that brought me to this one. A few others I've found that are amazing are the...
  10. porter

Mike Mangini's tom things?

Also called Octobans, Deccabons, Cannon Toms... etc. The original is Tama Octobans but those are copyrighted hence every manufacturer having different names for them.
  11. porter

Pro Tec CP200WL Multi-Tom Bag

Got one of these today and quite pleased with it especially because I can fit 3 toms and a snare into it! It comes with two circular dividers and one rectangular... thing which could be used as a divider I think – I just put the snare in its own bag and put that between the floor tom and...
  12. porter

Using 2 Hi hats as a stack

Wait, are you going to use them as an acoustic stack or just for practice? I just tried putting my 14" L80 on a 16" L80 and, I mean, it's fine – but they don't respond to stacking like normal cymbals. I have a 13" pair of L80s on an X-hat I use for my "stack" and those work fine.
  13. porter

Using 2 Hi hats as a stack

Almost never! Hi-hats generally have such similar profiles that, if you stack either one inside the other, they mute each other completely and you just get a clang sound. You could easily try this yourself. If you stack them in their original configurations, you've got... an x-hat. I've seen a...
  14. porter

AAL Kascade Drum Cover

Quite good performance. Too much of the original track for my taste, though, would rather the external drums be higher in the mix. Why do you deadstroke the snare sometimes?
  15. porter

Question about perfect fourths Tom tuning

Most people don't notice. (I think most people don't know what a minor seventh is, but that's beside the point.) As I said, "Intervals are not tonally super relevant when playing toms" because they are highly complex in timbre; so much so that their actual fundamental frequencies are almost...
  16. porter

Question about perfect fourths Tom tuning

Intervals are not tonally super relevant when playing toms. A desire for perfect fourths between drums should be balanced with the fact that each drum has its own range and might sound less-than-good if arbitrarily fit into an intervallic scheme. I would put more emphasis on where the drum...
  17. porter

Die Cast Hoop vs 3 mil triple flange hoop for Birch Snare

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
  18. porter

Just playing around with my current setup

Since I got a new crash last week I figured I would record a little something demonstrating the whole kit. A bit out of practice too ;D I'm using VF Jeff Queen marching sticks and some very nice Meinls. The overheads are contributing most of the sound with just some reinforcement from kick and...
  19. porter

Tama Soundworks VS SLP

That and the Super Aluminum are discontinued I think but they are going for very nice prices as a result. All the soundfiles I've heard of the Steel make it sound quite excellent.
  20. porter

Tama Soundworks VS SLP

I believe so, Pearl is using it in their Session Studio Classic kits as well.
Back